This position will be responsible for the management of Concern’s WASH programme in Northern Unity in Bentiu PoC sites located in UNMISS POC area, and, a WASH programme for IDPs and vulnerable host population outside UN base in Unity State (Beyond Bentiu Response). This shall be done in collaboration/consultation with the WASH Advisors (Dublin), the Deputy Programme Director and the Area Coordinator. The post holder will also be responsible for representing Concern and coordinating with key stakeholders in WASH programmes at National, State and County levels. Key activities will include training and on-the-job coaching of staff, improving reporting and analysis systems, ensuring programme is appropriately equipped and staffed, supporting procurement and HR matters for programme implementation, conducting adequate budget management of programme costs and ensuring timely sharing of information with other partners and actors.
You will be responsible for:
Programme Planning and Design:
Design and plan WASH activities in Bentiu PoC and Beyond Bentiu Response, ensuring the participation of programme stakeholders (government, other NGOs, WASH sub-cluster) in all stages of the programme cycle.
In collaboration with the Area Coordinator and Deputy Programme Director, develop a longer-term strategy for the WASH programme in Northern Unity.
Support the preparation Scopes of Work and Bills of Quantities for the implementation of WASH activities including rehabilitation and construction of WASH facilities, as required.
Provide relevant inputs for the development of South Sudan’s Country Strategic Plan and Annual Plans, as required.
- Oversee the day to day management of the WASH programme including leading and overseeing WASH activities according to international standards, national guidelines, Concern policies and best practices, with a special attention to gender and protection topics.
- Ensure that all the necessary resources are in place to deliver on the WASH activities (staff, logistics, consultants, finances etc.)
- Ensure accurate management of the WASH programme budget to ensure that activities are delivered in a timely and cost-efficient way.
- Monitor programme budgets and management accounts to ensure that relevant activities are being implemented in accordance with agreed budgets
- Prepare procurement plans and work with logistics to ensure timely procurement of all necessary supplies.
- Participate in contract design, tendering and contractor performance as required for the implementation of interventions.
- In collaboration with the M&E Coordinator, develop an M&E framework and ensure that the WASH programme is appropriately monitored to track progress, outcomes and impact.
- Ensure that best practices and international standards are applied to the WASH programme activities as relevant.
- Provide technical solutions to WASH related issues facing the population in the areas of operation and contribute to the sector wide development of standards.
- Lead the WASH component of any Concern or inter-agency rapid response missions in which Concern participates.
- Ensure that the necessary equipment, materials are available and in good working order for rapid deployment.
- Coordinate with UNICEF and the WASH cluster as required to ensure WASH supplies are available through the pipeline and transported to rapid response locations, as necessary.
- Work with the Deputy Programme Director and Bentiu Area Coordinator to further build and maintain Concern’s emergency preparedness capacity.
Reporting and Donor Compliance
- Contribute to the development of high-quality concept notes and proposals for the WASH programme.
- Prepare timely and high quality internal and donor reports for the Northern Unity WASH programme, in line with donor requirements (narrative and financial);
- Prepare and share timely WASH programme data as required by the WASH cluster.
- Manage and provide leadership to the Northern Unity WASH team, contributing to their capacity building and career development including through on-the-job training.
- Ensure that the WASH team have up to date job descriptions, clear objectives and identify and facilitate training when required.
- Ensure that each member of the team fully understands outcomes which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work
- Ensure that all staff are aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures
- Monitor and review performance and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria; give corrective feedback where required and take decisive action in the case of poor performance
- Ensure that staff and contractors are compliant and fully understand their obligations when signing the program participant protection policy (P4) and where non-compliance is suspected, to inform a member of the SMT so that the appropriate action can be taken by the Country Director
- Act as Concern’s focal point for the WASH State Cluster, participating in the WASH State Cluster meetings, and other workshops and meetings.
- Share relevant information in a timely manner with all of Concern’s WASH programmes.
- Represent Concern to with government departments, donors and communities in State and County levels, with the support from the Area Coordinator, as required.
- Support cross-sectoral periodic programme reviews in order to assess programme progress, capture lessons learnt and adapt programme strategies as necessary in accordance with Concern’s results-based management principles. Ensure mainstreaming of cross cutting issues/approaches throughout the programme cycle including: Gender, Protection, HIV and Aids, Rights Based Approach, Accountability and do no harm philosophy.
- Ensure the Northern Unity WASH team adheres closely to security protocols and procedures.
- Adhere fully to the commitments and rules of Concern’s Code of Conduct and Associated Policies including the respect of confidentiality.
- Report to the appropriate manager all violations of the CoC
- Other duties as assigned by the Area Coordinator or Deputy Programme Director.
Your skills and experience will include:
Education & Qualifications Required:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering (Civil/Water/Environmental)
- Minimum of three years overseas experience with an NGO implementing full WASH Programmes (with the 3 components: water, sanitation and hygiene promotion)
- Experience of managing a WASH team.
- Experience in working in a complex emergency context
- Experience with Participatory Hygiene Promotion
- Experience in Water Well Drilling, Solar water supply systems and the development of emergency water Supply, hygiene promotion and Sanitation (Both Emergency and development related activities such as CLTS)