Norwegian People's Aid is a humanitarian organisation rooted in the Norwegian Labour Movement. We work with International Development Partnerships, Humanitarian Mine Action, Rescue Service and First Aid, and Asylum and Integration. Norwegian People's Aid has about 12000 members in Norway and 2400 staff worldwide. We work in 36 countries around the world, and in 2017 we will have an expected turnover of 1000 MNOK.
Norwegian People's Aid (NPA) has been involved in humanitarian mine action since 1992 and is one of the leading humanitarian demining organisations worldwide. NPA works closely with national authorities and other stakeholders on resolving the challenges in the local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. In 2017, NPA will have over 20 Mine Action Programmes in the Balkans, Southern Africa, The Horn of Africa, Central Asia, South East Asia, and The Middle East.
NPA seeks an experienced Programme Manager for our Humanitarian Disarmament programme in Zimbabwe which currently consists of an established mine action programme. The programme conducts survey and clearance of landmines in Manicaland Province to support the Zimbabwe national mine action strategy. The programme cooperates closely with national authorities and other stakeholders and aims to be a catalyst for improving productivity, impact, and efficiency in humanitarian disarmament in Zimbabwe.
The Programme Manager is the senior representative of NPA HD in Zimbabwe and is responsible for all aspects of the mine action programme including operations, personnel, finance and logistics. Other regional or global responsibilities and tasks may be included subject to instructions from Department for Humanitarian Disarmament.
- Responsible for the design, development and ongoing implementation of the programme.
- Coordinate closely with all relevant stakeholders, including local and national authorities.
- Responsible for resource mobilisation for the NPA Mine Action Programme in Zimbabwe.
- Motivate synergy and further cross-utilization of resource between the NPA projects within the region and globally.
- Put in place and maintain calibrated quality management of all aspects of the programme.
- Responsible for management and capacity buildning of expatriate and locally employed staff.
- Responsible for the security of programme staff and programme assets.
The Programme Manager should have extensive knowledge of mine action, and have knowledge of the other NPA pillars in humanitarian disarmament. Relevant experience would encompass the following:
- Relevant higher education or equivalent qualifications (result-focused mine action NGO or commercial EOD work, overseas relief and development programmes or military qualifications with international deployments).
- Experience from managing operations (project planning, implementation, follow up and reporting, writing project proposals, budgeting and fundraising).
- Education and/ or experience from logistics, finance and human resources is an asset.
- Experience and knowledge from policy work in development countries and/or humanitarian aid is an asset
- Previous working relations or experience of liaison and networking with UN, national authorities, military forces, partner organisations and donors.
- Experience from humanitarian disarmament.
- Good knowledge of computer handling and data acquisition.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English.
- Proven ability to develop, manage, motivate and lead a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure and limited supervision.
- Ability to work in and adapt to difficult and complex cultures and conditions.
- Salary: In addition to base salary, our salary package for this position includes post allowance and hardship allowance.
- Accommodation: NPA will provide free accommodation.
- Flights: NPA provides three international flights home per contract year. We also cover flight and expences upon assumption of duty.
- Leave: Five weeks annual leave and in addition one extra week off.
- Insurance: You will be covered by NPA's comprehensive insurance package which includes travel insurance, group life insurance, accident insurance and worker's compensation insurance.
- Health checks: Will be provided in connection with assumption of duty, and on an annual basis.
- Contract: A one-year contract with possibility for renewal.