Concern Worldwide, Dohuk, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
Your purpose: You will provide management and technical oversight of Concern’s WASH programmes in Iraq in camp or out of camps including extension, construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water supply schemes and sanitation facilities. You will also contribute in Concern’s scale up strategy in Iraq through development of new programmes and proposals, high quality internal and external reports, grants management and building local partnership with NGOs and Government.
You will be responsible for:
Programme Planning, Management and Development:
- Provide technical and management oversight and supervision of assigned WASH projects and local partners.
- Ensure that all programme targets are reached in accordance with agreed programme objectives with partners and donors, in line with the overall programme approach and ensure integration with other programme activities.
- Ensure that all resources (technical, financial, HR) are in place to implement the different projects of the WASH infrastructure programme in accordance with the work plans and realistic timeframes and milestones agreed with contractor and donors
- Oversee and carry out assessments of sites for the implementation of planned engineering works as per agreed proposals.
- Oversee the design of the assigned engineering works, following best international and humanitarian best practice and in line with Concern, donor and local authority policies and guidelines.
- Prepare technical documents such as tenders, BOQs, procurement and oversee material and equipment purchases and delivery as necessary ensuring that partners, Concerns’ and donors’ policies and procedures are applied and followed.
- Oversee the work of selected partner ensuring implementation of projects of the highest quality and are in accordance to agreed designs, policies and procedures and timelines.
- Ensure the preparation of detailed implementation work plans and provide the necessary guidance and support to the partner and direct team members to achieve timely and quality implementation of activities.
- Carry out regular field visits to inspect works and organize regular project review sessions through participatory methodologies involving beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the areas of intervention, with the aim of establishing and/or verifying emerging needs, gaps and priorities, and communicate these to the Programmes Director as part of a continuous programme review and improvement process.
- Manage the implementation of an M&E system to monitor progress and capture impact of projects and to make necessary adjustments to work plans if necessary in a timely manner with consensus of local partner.
- Contribute to the preparation of WASH budgets, funding concept notes and proposals through analysis of field data and actual costs incurred on activity implementation.
- Write concept notes and full proposals for grants and contracts under the strategic guidance of the PD or Programme Coordinator. This includes background research, stakeholder analysis, data collection & analysis, consultation processes, development of narrative, development of budget and production all associated documents to a high standard in accordance with donor requirements;
Human Resources Manager and Capacity Building
- Train Concern and key partner staff in donor requirements and compliance rules under specific contracts, in collaboration with Concern Finance and Systems Managers;
- Lead and manage staff, contributing to their capacity building and career development.
- Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff
- Ensure efficient team deployment through a system of up-to-date job descriptions developed in line with Concern organizational structure. Regularly review and recommend staffing structure reviews to the Programmes Director.
- Ensure that all staff is aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures
- Monitor and review performance of staff line managed through Concern’s Performance Development Reviews system (PDR’s) and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria
- Participate in the design and implementation of accountability and quality initiatives ensuring that they are integrated into the programmes
- Adhere to and promote Concern’s Code of Conduct (CCOC) and its Associated policies (Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), Anti-trafficking policy and Child Safeguarding policy
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director and/or the Programmes Director
- Authorise Project site expenditure and ensure that Project purchases and expenses are consistent with sound administrative and financial practices.
- Check monthly Project financial report for accuracy and appropriateness. Regularly discuss with Finance Manager concerning financial reporting issues, errors, trends, payment delays and related matters
- Ensure that Project expenditure is being coded correctly and consistently (that is allocated to correct budget lines) and that donor funds are used solely for the purposes for which they were granted and in accordance with relevant Concern WW and donor guidelines.
- Monitor expenditure on a monthly basis against the approved budget.
- Review expenditure projections to ensure that expenditure stays within budget. Significant actual or anticipated expenditure variances against the budget should be included in the monthly report to line management together with any recommendations for changes to the budget.
- Ensure monthly project expenditure reports are submitted to the Concern’s Finance office for the month’s expenditures and provide receipts linked to these reports as and when transport is available.
- Contribute to all aspects of the Programme e.g. mainstreaming of equality, protection, and disaster risk reduction
- Collaborate on advocacy work through provision of sound, reliable and evidence-based information based on thorough research
- Provide all necessary documentation support to the Country Management Team (CMT) including visibility material and programme brochures which promote Concern’s work
- Any other tasks mutually agreed with the Programmes Director and /or the CD,
Your skills and experience will include:
- This position demands a highly organised and dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding environment.
- BSc in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, or any related Engineering field.
- Minimum 3 years WASH experience including at least 2 years at management level.
- Thorough technical knowledge of water supply construction and maintenance, including experience with household level sanitation, hygiene promotion, community mobilization, participatory planning and environmental conservation.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation techniques and a good grasp of project cycle management.
- Experience working collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders including local authorities, partners, and other I/NGOs.
- Thorough understanding of budgetary, HR and procurement processes.
- Very strong English writing and verbal communication skills.
- Good team player, flexible and politically and culturally sensitive.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office.