United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Country Office in Belize works to support the country to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and with resilience building. UNDP’s on-going Country Programme Document 2017-2021 (CPD) is positioned within the overarching UN Multi Country Sustainable Development Framework 2017- 2021 (MSDF). UNDP CPD elaborates four outcomes responding to defined national development priorities.
UNDP supports interventions that works towards strengthening institutional reform, policies that will enhance social cohesion, the promotion of human and legal rights, and empowering men and women as agents of change and co-producers of their own security including support to policy design and implementation as well as capacity development.
Citizens, particularly women, still have limited opportunities to engage in and influence the policy and decision-making processes impacting their lives. Thus, while the UNDP supports an enabling and gender-sensitive policy environment at the national level, it also supports policy implementation and capacity development, and promote participatory approaches at sub-national levels to improve access to services and citizen’s influence in decision-making.
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and operational and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Programme Officer will lead the technical oversight and programme management with particular focus on the Spotlight, EnGenDER and Infosegura Projects. He/She also participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities relating to UNDP governance portfolio.
The Programme Officer will supervise and lead programme support staff. The Programme Officer will also work in close collaboration with the CO Programme and Operations teams; the Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation, and Poverty Alleviation and other relevant Government Ministries; and with the programme staff in other UN Agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Functions:
- Effective programme management
- Contribution to strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top-quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Effective programme management focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Independently provide full range of project management and oversight services at all phases of the project cycle
- Lead initiation of a presentation of the relevant project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions;
- Organization, preparation, collation and consolidation of annual work plans and budget administration for activities under relevant Projects
- Lead management of programme resources, and supervise administration of accounts
- Provision of operational and technical support to Implementing Partners, Responsible Parties, and relevant Government and non-governmental institutions as assigned including facilitating development of quarterly workplans and timely submission of reports.
- Financial management and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions;
- Participation in audit of NEX projects;
- Coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review;
Contributes to creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization;
- Deepen the projects relationships with the key national and international stakeholders concerned with Governance/ Citizen Security Programme.
- Establishes close working relationships and creates programmatic linkages with relevant government agencies; UN Agencies, IFI’s, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society;
Quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identifies sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identifies and synthesizes best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals
- Participate in trainings for operations/project personnel on programme management
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Develop quarterly and annual “project stories” for upload to the UNDP website
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies, Political Science, Economics, Social Sciences or other relevant fields of study is required.
- A Postgraduate Degree in Development Studies, Political Science, Economics, Social Sciences or other relevant fields of study would be an advantage
- Minimum of five years of professional experience, or two years with a Postgraduate Degree, in project management and ideally with at least two years involving management responsibilities, in the field of gender, citizen security, democratic governance or development;
- Experience in engaging with high level stakeholders, Governments, development partners and other related parties
- Knowledge of and experience in the UN System or international organization would be an advantage.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Spanish is an asset