United Nations, Santiago, Chile
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Division for Programme Planning and Operations, The Programme Officer reports to the Chief of the Project Management Unit.
The Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean is one of the five regional Commissions of the United Nations. It was founded in 1948 with the purpose of contributing to the region's economic and social development. Its mission includes the design, monitoring and evaluation of public policies and the provision of advisory services, expertise and training to Governments, as well as support for regional and international cooperation and coordination activities. Please visit our website at www.eclac.org for further information.
Under the direct supervision of Chief of the Project Management Unit, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Provides substantive and programmatic support to the development, up-dating and implementation of the Commission’s resources mobilization strategy.Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in project or programme management in the context of a non for profit organization, such as the United Nations, is required.
- Experience in managing relations with donors is desirable.
- Experience in the monitoring and evaluation of projects or programmes is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in Spanish and English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- NOTE: ‘’Fluency’’ equals a rating of ‘’fluent’’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and ‘’Knowledge of’’ equals a rating of ‘’confident’’ in two of the four areas.