About Oxfam India
Oxfam is marking its 67th year in India this year. Oxfam India, a fully independent Indian organization (with Indian staff and an Indian Board) is a member of a global confederation of 20 Oxfams.
The Oxfams are rights-based organizations that fight poverty and injustice by linking grassroots programming (through partner NGOs) to local, national and global advocacy and policy-making. All of Oxfam’s work is framed by our commitment to five broad rights-based aims: the right to a sustainable livelihood, the right to basic social services, the right to life and security, the right to be heard and the right to equality: gender and diversity.
Oxfam India's vision is to create a more equal, just, and sustainable world. The overarching vision of Oxfam India is “right to life with dignity for all”. Oxfam India will fulfil its vision by empowering the poor and marginalized to demand their rights, engaging the non-poor to become active and supportive citizens, advocating for an effective and accountable state and making markets work for poor and marginalized people.
Oxfam India is an equal opportunities employer.
Scope of Position
You will be required to support the Regional Manager Uttar Pradesh in establishing link between micro level project work and macro policy and practices in DRR/humanitarian work. You would be required to participate and contribute to the development of wider institutional DRR/ Humanitarian strategy. You will manage relationship with Oxfam programme partners through regular visits and undertake project appraisal, monitoring, evaluation, including financial monitoring. You will need to build donor relations, develop donor proposals and produce donor reports as appropriate. You would be required to produce quality reports for management as well as communication purposes nationally and internationally.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of the Uttar Pradesh team you will be the Lead on Humanitarian by providing technical support and improving upon the quality of disaster preparedness and also be prepared for any response in Uttar Pradesh. You will actively monitor the humanitarian context in North India with specific focus in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- You will be responsible for development, implementation and reporting of DRR Programming and emergency response.
- Establish link between micro-level project work and macro policy and practices and identify opportunities and strategies to influence policies and practices. Liaise with appropriate government officials, donor agencies, state level organizations and other bodies as necessary and undertake lobbying and advocacy on appropriate issues concerning disaster management.
- Manage relationship with Oxfam programme partners through regular visits and undertake project appraisal, monitoring, and evaluation, including financial monitoring; and ensure minimum organizational programme management standards.
- Identify state advocacy/influencing agenda under DRR/humanitarian programme and execute with support from RM.
- Develop concept notes/donor proposals under DRR/humanitarian
- Manage donor relation including facilitating visits, reporting, case story documentation etc.
- Management of Humanitarian Programme including:
- Developing programme policies and objectives
- Recruitment of local staff and management of all staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required
- Narrative reporting and financial accounting as appropriate
- Donor contractual obligations are adhered and timely compliance of reporting done
- Programme implementation in consultative, participative and gender sensitive way
- Implementation of staff safety and securing procedures as appropriate
- Ensure minimum standards (SPHERE); adherence to Red Cross and Crescent Society Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies in humanitarian relief
- Implement Oxfam’s Gender, Diversity and Equal Opportunities policies
- Support programme team to analyse and agree upon appropriate security guidelines and periodical updating as required
- As member of Oxfam North India team participate in meetings and trainings as required including assisting with strategic planning and supporting programme development.
- In the event of humanitarian disaster, undertake special visits and assignments, participate in assessments, planning and implementation of relief and long term rehabilitation programmes, and strengthen the capacity of partners and other state level institutions in disaster preparedness to respond effectively.
- When necessary and requested by Oxfam, join assessment missions in Humanitarian emergencies, else where in India, for limited and agreed periods.
Qualifications and Experience
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Post graduate in Social sciences/Disaster Management
- Substantial experience of development work in NGOs, of which minimum three to five years of experience in humanitarian work and DRR (including long term rehabilitation/preparedness)
- You will have an excellent all-round understanding and experience of operational DRR and emergency response programming in humanitarian or development contexts.
- Thorough understanding of Resilience framework
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. SPHERE standards)
- Adequate understanding of the socio-economic, political and ecological conditions of North India
- Strong analytical, conceptual and strategic planning skills
- Proven track record of achieving results and of programme and finance management skills including in emergency situation
- Effective co-ordination and leadership skills and capacity
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills
- Sensitivity to gender and diversity issues and concern for the priorities of disadvantaged sections in the community
- Strong interpersonal skills to work as part of a local, national and regional programme teams
- Good communication skills with fluency in written and verbal English
- Information Technology skills
- Physical fitness to travel and willingness for sustained fieldwork
Relocation: During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
Travel: Ability to travel within country and abroad as required.