PURPOSE OF POSITION
Turkish National. World Vision seeks a full-time Programme Officer (PO) (based in Gaziantep, Turkey, possibly Amman, Jordan) for the proposed USAID-funded two-year, multi-sector humanitarian program in northern Syria. Through a consortium approach, the programme will provide gender-sensitive, coordinated assistance in order to limit the loss of life and mitigate human suffering in conflict-affected communities. To achieve this goal, this project will technically implement Health and Nutrition, WASH, Shelter, and Non-Food Item activities through both fixed and mobile locations, including the programme’s Rapid Response Mechanism.
The Program Officer will support a large WV-led humanitarian consortium. The PO position will provide support to both WV and consortium partner teams in Jordan and Turkey. Main responsibilities of the PO will include timely and quality donor reporting, information management and supporting local implementing partner, WV support offices, and donor engagement.
- Coordinate project reporting, implementation, and evaluation with all relevant staff including consortium partners, using the defined processes.
- Coordinate with technical specialists, operations, finance and procurement staff and WV support offices to ensure programming according to donor regulations
- Monitor funding status for each sector of the program to identify possible funding gaps.
- Obtain funding for program’s unfunded sections by identifying grants.
Programmatic Grants Management
- Prepare monthly, annual and end-of-project narrative reports, newsletters, situational reports and other reports as necessary. Work closely with consortium partners and WV teams to ensure timely and quality reports.
- Link with the operations and finance departments to ensure the compiling/collating of major donor management reports.
- Monitor program's progress ensuring goals and objectives are achieved and non-financial grant requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure that program implementation is in line with the principles of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, SPHERE standards and relevant WV internal standards and policies.
- Provide program update to key WV support offices and the regional office.
- Support Grant Managers and design, monitoring, and evaluation, information management, and accountability to implement technical and managerial evaluations as required.
Partnership & External Relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships and information sharing with Support Office representatives.
- Participate in joint agency assessments, task-force teams, workshops, clusters, etc.
- Support the programs team to identify potential partners to work with and through in projects.
- Ensure alignment with WV’s established external engagement, GAM, partnering steps, and response strategies.
- Assist the Programs team in Amman with representation of WV and networking with NGOs and local donor delegations in Turkey.
- Proactively gather information from relevant cluster partners, UN agencies and other organisations which may be of use world vision for informing decisions
- Provide information management services to support population data management activities including population estimation, information flows from established systems, movement tracking, standard-setting/promotion and dissemination.
Strategy Development & Other
- Assist in annual operating plan preparation including: design, needs assessment, proposal writing, marketing, evaluation and reporting.
- Be aware of the emergency procedures in a response and ensure that necessary preparedness measures have been implemented
- Perform other relevant tasks assigned by the direct supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or related field.
- Experience in large scale humanitarian emergencies
- Understanding of project design and proposal writing.
- Good understanding of working with und the donor regulations of USAID/OFDA
- Good understanding of World Vision and Sphere relief standards, as well as the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct.
- Strong capacity building and facilitation skills
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to pursue thoroughness and appropriate attention to detail.
- Ability to express self clearly in all forms of writing.
- Ability to identify gaps, trends, priorities and key issues.
- Ability to describe key aspects and issues of relief, development and advocacy.
- Ability to maintain strong links with major NGO’s, donors and government agencies.
- Ability to explain WV’s work in relation to issues of poverty, power, justice and peace.
- Ability to respect and relate appropriately to people of other faiths.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to interpret and present information with influence and impact.
- Self-starter who can work independently under pressure
- Completed a recognised personal security course in the past 3 years
- Knowledge of WV’s field operations, either in the relief or development context.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible world view, emotional maturity and physical stamina
- Ability to manage work life and work without supervision
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English
- Turkish nationality
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or related field. (Preferred)
- Effective in written and verbal communication in Arabic
- Strong presentation skills and donor engagement experience
Complete Travel and/or Work Environment statements if applicable.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 15 % of the time.