Background Information - Job-specific:
The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is a strategic public-private partnership between UNEP and the global financial sector. UNEP FI works with over 200 financial institutions, signatories to UNEP Statement of Commitment by Financial Institutions on Sustainable Development, and a range of partners and organizations, to embed environmental, social and governance considerations in financial decision-making. Through its industry, thematic and regional activities, UNEP FI promotes the adoption of sustainability practices by financial institutions and the finance sector at large.
The consultant will work with UNEP FI members, the UNEP FI programme managers, UNEP FI investment industry lead, UNEP FI banking team and regional coordinators, UNEP FI partners and contractors, as well as relevant governance bodies, to disseminate, promote and communicate UNEP FI’s work across Japan by consultations, research, training workshops, and special meetings/events. The consultant will also work on network-building for information and best practice sharing between financial institutions and with key stakeholders is at the core of the regional work.
The consultant will carry out the following project tasks for UNEP FI in Japan in coordination with the Asia Pacific Coordinator.
- Planning: Handle UNEP FI’s strategy work plan and activities and support the Secretariat, in particular the Asia Pacific coordinator and the industry coordinators, in developing and assisting in executing an agreed work plan in Japan including assisting in identifying opportunities, mobilizing resources and project managing activities in Japan.
- Coordination: Engaging with UNEP FI’s membership in Japan, as per guidance from UNEP FI, ensuring membership retention and growth, supporting delivery of UNEP FI projects, and promoting uptake of project deliverables. Identifying and assisting in delivering complementary activities to promote the sustainable finance agenda and facilitate peer-to-peer learning. Specifically, attract Japanese members & stakeholders to provide inputs to projects, communicate progress, disseminate outputs and exchange knowledge. Develop partnerships to mobilise resources for sustainable finance activities and engage members in defining outputs.
- Communication: Carry out communication activities in Japan, with the guidance from UNEP FI, which aims to disseminate information about the Initiative’s projects and activities and promote membership dialogue, stimulating knowledge exchange and network engagement. Prepare annual UNEP FI meetings in Japan and stimulate participation of UNEP FI’s regional events such as the Regional roundtable. Engage members in consultations and disseminate outputs from the global work programme across banking, insurance and investment. Ensure members’ profiles are up-to-date on UNEP FI’s website and include recent sustainability reports. Engage members in UNEP FI webinars and activities.
- Member Relations and Outreach: work with the FI Secretariat on its member relationship management activities in Japan including recruiting financial institutions to expand the reach of the initiative in key markets in Japan. Hold regular member coordination meetings at least quarterly and at least one group face-to-face meeting with UNEP FI members. Increase number of membership by minimum of 2 financial institutions. Assist UNEP FI to identify and engage high-level thought leaders in sustainable finance in the financial sector to contribute to advancing UNEP FI’s strategy. Engage members in the development of UNEP FI’s regional work plan.
- Workshops and Events: work with the FI Secretariat on coordinating UNEP FI events and meetings in Japan and contributing to awareness raising events around Sustainable Finance in the region. Mobilise members for UN Environment financial centre network activities and events.
- Stakeholder Engagement: work with the FI Secretariat on building and maintaining strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, such as policymakers and regulators, as well as other international/multilateral organisations, non-governmental organisations, industry initiatives and associations, and academia to advance the dialogue around Sustainable. Ensure UNEP FI’s presence and involvement in key national events and conferences.
Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education):
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, environmental studies, international relations, business administration or related fields.
- Bachelors’ university degree in the fields noted above accepted with an additional two (2) years of experience.
Work Experience: At least five years of work experience, especially in international organisations, the financial services sector, private sector or NGOs examining the intersection between sustainability and finance.
Key Competencies & Language:
- Proven skills in building and managing relationships with a variety of private and public stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- To discern common denominators in a diverse set of point of views;
- To rapidly capture ideas, synthesize and translate concepts into real outputs.
- Proven knowledge in the fields of sustainable finance and the environment;
- Financial services sector, knowledge/experience of the regional context.
- Ability to cope with comprehensive work programmes, multiple projects and activities in an organized and timely manner.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills;
- Excellent communication skills, spoken and written, including the ability to draft and edit a variety of materials (communication materials, agendas, studies etc.).
- Fluency in Japanese is required for this position.
- The incumbent is expected to work independently with minimal supervision, must have significant latitude to be self-directed and be highly motivated.