This is a re-advertisement. Applicants who have applied earlier need not apply again, they will be considered if they meet the criteria.
The NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog, is a policy think tank of the Government of India, established with the aim to enhance cooperative federalism by fostering the involvement of State Governments of India in the economic policy-making process using a bottom-up approach. Its initiatives include coordinating work on Sustainable Development Goals, preparing a strategy for New India and guiding reforms related to Medical Education, Agriculture (Model Land Leasing Law, Reforms of the Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee Act and Indices Measuring States’ Performance in Health, Education and Water Management among others.
NITI Aayog and United Nations have recently signed a Sustainable Development Framework – UNSDF (2018-2022). The UNSDF serves as a partnership framework between the Government of India and the UN System and will be nationally executed under the overall coordination of NITI Aayog. To provide overall guidance and oversight, a Joint Steering Committee (JSC) has been constituted, comprising senior Government officials from the NITI Aayog, the Ministry of External Affairs, the Ministry of Finance and other key ministries and UN representatives. In addition, seven inter-agency Results Groups at the outcome level within the UN are in place to support coordinated and collaborative planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and communication of results.
The outcomes expected from this UNSDF will contribute to:
- advance inclusive economic growth and reduce multi-dimensional poverty of vulnerable communities;
- demonstrate scalable and innovative solutions to key challenges, including through partnerships with the private sector;
- strengthen accountability systems, support the delivery of quality, inclusive social services and
- support the GoI’s efforts to exert greater influence in global fora on development, climate change, and emergency response, among others.
To support NITI Aayog in the above area of work, UN in India is looking for dynamic individual for the position of a Programme Officer to be located at the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office. The incumbent should have a good mix of academic and research expertise, understanding of policy issues, analytical capabilities, documentation and report writing, publication record and familiarity with international debates on concerned issues in the areas, as above.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Officer will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Staff, Resident Coordinator’s Office, United Nations. The incumbent will primarily be responsible for extending research and analytical support, preparation work for meetings including documentation and report writing, and coordination and follow up in matters relating to UNSDF. The Programme Officer will support the attainment of the results envisaged to the required standards of quality, efficiency, accuracy, and consistency of work within the constraints of time and cost and will be responsible for the following:
- Provides timely and quality analytical inputs to the the UN team related to UNSDF roll-out and implementation;
- Manages the coordination and documentation of Joint Steering Committee meetings in collaboration with NITI Aayog;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. on issues related to the GoI-UN Sustainable Development Framework;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations on issues related to the GoI-UN Sustainable Development Framework;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Coordinates activities related to financial reporting;
- Organize and attend internal meetings, consultations, workshops, conferences, brainstorming sessions, meetings as required, and prepare briefing notes, minutes, follow up with other agencies for necessary action;
- Maintain an established network of contacts for information sharing and to remain up-to-date on economic and development issues and ensure adequate information flow, regular contact and feedback among various stakeholders;
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Two Positions: One based at NITI Aayog, New Delhi and One based at UN Resident Coordinator's Office, New Delhi
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Manages conflict;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complex situations.
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches and documents best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues for attention and necessary action;
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with the Government Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of Programme implementation;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates strong facilitation skills;
- Ability to work independently and under pressure;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client, builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view. Above all, a flexible approach to work is highly required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Clear and dynamic understanding and knowledge of ongoing global and regional economic and development issues and challenges;
- Abreast of new developments and challenges in the area of work;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely and produce high quality reports and knowledge products;
- Ability to focus on impact and result based management tools and quality assurance of the programme;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with people and multi-sectoral teams to achieve results;
- Consistent approach to work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and respond positively to feedback;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; Excellent writing skills in English; Functional Knowledge of Hindi is desirable.
- Outstanding interpersonal, presentation, management and organizational skills;
- Usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point etc.).
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Post graduate / Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies or related field;
- Minimum 4-6 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in research, development studies, economic studies;
- Experience of working with academia / think tanks / research institutions and such will be preferred;
- Hands on experience on economic and social development issues (policy and strategic) will be preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point, etc.). Advanced knowledge of spread sheet, database and research packages will be an asset;
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organizations and national and state governments;
- High quality reports and knowledge products (samples may be requested as reference).
- Willingness to travel.
Language: Excellent command of the English language and local language of duty station.