The Programme Support and Technical Cooperation Department (PS) coordinates FAO's efforts towards the fulfilment of the Strategic Objectives through its Technical Cooperation Programme aiming at achieving the Agenda 2030. The Assistant Director-General, PS, leads the department's divisions and offices operating in headquarters in the following areas of action: Field programme oversight and monitoring, mobilization and management of resources, establishment of partnerships focusing on fostering and strengthening global cooperation, provision of emergency preparedness and response strategies, and management of FAO's Technical Cooperation Programme.
The Programme Officer reports to the Assistant-Director General, Programme Support and Technical Cooperation Department in close collaboration with the Strategic objectives Core Teams.
Technical Focus: Coordination and implementation of the PS department's programmes and policies.
Key Results: Develops, implements, evaluates, effective leadership and management of major projects and teams in accordance with Departmental objectives and FAO's Strategic Objectives.
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.; in coordination with Strategic Team Leaders monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget);
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Generates survey initiatives; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings and conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Coordinates, implements and monitors the Department's Programme of Work and Budget according to the work plans and service agreements;
- Ensures that expenditures are kept within the resources allotted;
- Ensures the potential need for adjustment to allotments that may arise during the course of implementation, in consultation with the Strategic Programme Leaders and heads of Business Units as appropriate;
- Supervises and ensures coherence of policies and programmes within the department;
- Liaises with the Office of Human Resources on relevant HR matters as well as other divisions within the organization to review and discuses substantive issues.
- Advanced university degree in business administration or public administration, social science, political science or a related field.
- Seven years of relevant experience in project or programme management, administration or related area
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
- Results Focus
- Team Work
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of administration, human resources, finance and management
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation
- Extent of knowledge of planning and budgetary processes and associated tools
- Understanding of FAO policies and programmes is considered a strong asset