This is a Re-Advertisement; Candidates who applied earlier, need not re-apply
UNDP India has focused programme on sustainable development goals (SDGs), implemented with the support of many verticals. The Chemicals and Waste Management vertical supports implementation of the Montreal Protocol, Minamata Convention, other waste management projects and environmental projects, at large.
Considering the growth of activities under the chemicals and waste management programme, with specific emphasis to the Hydrochlorofluorocarbons Phase-out Management Plan (HPMP) Stage-II from 2016-2023 proposing to recruit Programme Officer, to the professional Team. The Programme Officer, Montreal Protocol and Chemicals will be an integral part of the PIU of Chemicals and Waste Management unit and will support the Head in achieving the physical and financial target of projects. The main responsibility will be successful implementation of the projects under the Montreal Protocol and Chemicals to achieve overall objectives of the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The Programme Officer supports monitoring and implementation in execution of projects as part of Programme Implementation Unit, supports the planning and management of the various projects under the Montreal Protocol and Chemicals programme. The Programme Officer coordinates with the National Project Manager(s)/Project Manager(s). He/ She also guides other support staff of the Project Management Unit. The Programme Officer works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project Teams for resolving complex project-related issues and ensure smooth and effective implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Programme Officer will be based at New Delhi and shall work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head, Chemicals and Waste Management. The Programme Officer is primarily responsible for effective implementation of various projects under the programme. As this is a full-time position, s/he cannot hold any other job/assignments during this assignment.
The incumbent will perform duties with respect to the following to ensure effective implementation of the projects
- Management and implementation of projects
- Monitoring and reporting for projects
- Support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Management and implementation of projects:
- Ensure consistency and integration among the various programme elements and related activities provided or funded by various sources;
- Ensure smooth implementation of the Montreal Protocol and Chemicals projects in accordance with the project documents and UNDP’s procedures
- Contribute to the development of the projects annual work plans and the corresponding budget;
- Assist in Initiation of a project, entering project into Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, procurement requirement, etc
- Ensure total accuracy and the highest level of transparency in the management of the project financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Develop system to have proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of projects and Financial Reports.
- Ensure implementation of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Take timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Establish a trusting relationship with all relevant stakeholders including relevant ministries, government agencies, and all project partners as well as UNDP regional technical team for GEF projects;
- Responsible for coordination and follow-up of project activities with other partners, governmental and non-governmental organizations involved in the projects to ensure timely provision of inputs and achievement of outputs and deliverables;
- Provide technical input to the project activities where appropriate;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies/consultants on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Coordinate with and provide necessary support to the respective project management units (PMUs) for smooth, effective and timely implementation of projects.
- Analyse the situation in project(s) implementation, identify operational and financial problems, develop solutions.
Monitoring and reporting of projects
- Prepare and support audit of projects and comply with audit recommendations.
- Monitor performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones of the projects.
- Prepare reports of relevant project(s) progress and issues in implementation of the projects;
- Ensure projects compliance with internal quality assurance (QA) protocols and timely update on internal system.
Support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy:
- Assist in analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and database, establishment of contacts with donor counterparts.
- Track and reporting on mobilized resources.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Organize trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Assist in documenting and disseminating lessons learned and best practices derived from the project activities.
- Develop/finalize communication/publicity materials for the projects e.g. posters, brochures, newsletters, etc
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Perform any other tasks consistent with the level of the post and/ or assigned by the Head, CWM, UNDP
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organisation
Job Knowledge/ Technical skills
- Good knowledge on environment, chemical management, energy efficiency, climate change and related field.
- Good analytical and planning skills (including financial); ability to set forecasts and refine/review them in the light of experience and further analysis
- Excellent technical and analytical writing skills
- Decisiveness, independence, good judgment, ability to work under pressure
- Strong facilitation and moderation, communication skills
- Ability to carry out research and communicate strategic pieces that guide decisions on strategic programme directions
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Excellent networking and partnering competencies and negotiating skills
- Ability to guide project support Team
- Good manager of people and resources to obtain best results
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to guide the Project Management Unit in implementing and achieving project outcomes
- Ability to represent and promote the project at national and international meetings
- Reliable in delivering own parts of the work as part of a team effort
- Demonstrates excellent work/project planning skills
- Is open to change and ability to manage complex, ever-changing environments
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Bachelors Degree in Engineering
- Desirable: Master’s degree in Business Administration preferably in operations.
- At least ten years of project management experience in environment, health and safety
- Advance knowledge of office software packages and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems
- Experience in implementing major environmental projects, preferably within the UN system or other international development agencies.
- Experience in implementing projects with government/ institutions.