UNDP in Sri Lanka is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation. Strong UN partnerships are valued for Delivering Together in a true spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Quality and Design Analyst the Programme Operations Assistant provides administrative and financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Programme Operations Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The Programme/Operations Assistant supports the planning, implementation of UNDP supported activities by providing and managing data inputs, providing logistical and administrative support, monitoring project implementation and following up on recommendations.
S/he is responsible for establishing and maintaining good working relationships with related government officials, with civil society representatives and all other related partners. The main areas of responsibility of the Programme/Operations Assistant will be programme support, administrative, financial, logistical and secretarial work within UNDP Office in Sri Lanka
The Programme Operations Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme Quality and Design Analyst, Programme Associate, Operations team, Management Support and Business Development, Programme and other teams in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support to administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies
- Support to administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
- Accounting and administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides support for the administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Provision of inputs for preparation of cost sharing, trust fund and other agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
- Drafts/produces various documents to help with management monitoring and evaluation of projects-programmes, (e.g. summary table of AWPs, summary table of overall programmatic expenditures, determination of unutilized funds, drafts/compiles funding gaps matrix for the CO and keeps it updated, etc.);
- Checking programme related finance reports;
Provides effective support to administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of information for formulation of work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities.
- Tracking and preparing spreadsheets on mobilized resources.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Maintenance of the filing system
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Assists in the organization and coordination of all existing and future programme/project activities
- Prepares materials for and creates Power Point presentations on relevant programme/project topics as may be required and selects and makes pertinent abstracts and undertakes searches for project related information;
- Drafts correspondence, takes instructions on a variety of project related subject-matters.
- Provides logistical, administrative and secretarial support and related processes, and programme management;
Provides accounting and administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, preparation of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects
- Processing of transactions, ensuring that they are correctly recorded and posted in UNDP’s financial management system (Atlas) in conformity with the internal expenditures control system.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas.
- Compilation of data for internal/external audit.
- Provision of inputs to reports including donor reports.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the office staff on programme/operations related issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. (Desirable)
- 7 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years’ experience
Language Requirements - Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.