STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Master degree in political/social sciences, international development, social policy, or related fields or First University Degree with minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of major humanitarian and development challenges and issues, specifically strategies and/or policies at global/regional/national level for social protection and safety nets
- Strong team work and coordination capacities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) and job holders report to a more senior Programme Policy Officer.
Job holders operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full. They are usually involved in a wide variety of programme and policy activities and analytical work, some of which may be of a considerable complexity. At this level job holders are expected to contribute to performance improvement.
WFP Regional Bureau for Middle East, North Africa, East Europe and the Central Asia region (RBC) is looking to reshape and expand its support to national social protection systems in the areas of nutrition, food security and emergency response. The Regional Bureau in Cairo provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in 17 countries: Algeria, Armenia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyz Republic, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey and Yemen.
In this context, WFP is seeking to enhance its capacities to support regional and country level efforts through the recruitment of a Programme Policy Officer. This post will be based in the social protection and safety nets unit under the supervision of the Regional Advisor for Social Protection and Safety Nets.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide WFP country offices technical and backstopping support. Provide technical guidance as required, through field missions and facilitate the development of an internal community of practice amongst staff.
- Contribute to ongoing strategic planning processes at country and regional levels on social protection and safety nets and support the improved positioning of WFP in this area, vis-à-vis internal and external stakeholders.
- Research and analyze policy and operational issues to support the development of country strategies, programme and activities.
- Contribute to the development and coordination of case studies, research, operational information and other knowledge management products, support the organization of external presentations and events showcasing WFP experience and learning, and promote effective information-sharing and exchange.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports on programme activities to support decision making and information sharing.
- Contribute to coordination of regional WFP programme and policy initiatives such as the MENA Regional Initiative on School Meals and Social Protection, including associated resource mobilization efforts.
- Support the development of existing partnerships and identification of new ones, including with other UN agencies, the League of Arab States, and other regional institutions, academia and initiatives.
- Liaise with other functional sections and units to ensure effective internal collaboration.
- Perform other duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Exposure to humanitarian and/or development fields
- Relevant policy and strategy experience in policy discussion and decision
- Proven ability and experience in the coordination of interagency networks, partnerships, strategies and communications initiatives