Programme Policy Officer
World Food Programme , Johannesburg, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
The primary role of this position is to support the implementation of the School Feeding Policy and new Global School Feeding Strategy in the region to promote and enhance development efforts through improved access to education and human capital formation, as well as ensuring linkages with Social Protection Programmes in the Region.
- Develop the Regional School Feeding Implementation Plan in line with the Global School Feeding strategy and the practical realities and context of the region
- Support COs to implement school feeding interventions that are consistent with the School Feeding Policy, the Global School Feeding Strategy and other relevant guidance
- Provide technical advice and mobilise technical expertise on programme and policy issues including activities, transfer modalities, the testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support the implementation of quality school feeding programmes
- Manage operational research and evidence building and facilitate training (including Systems Approach for Better Education Results) to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and governments to design and deliver effective school feeding programmes
- Establish and maintain strategic regional partnerships to link and integrate school feeding and other social protection activities into the overall social protection framework in the region
- Work with regional and continental bodies to share best practices and advocate for investments in school meals to strengthen government capacity to implement sustainable national school feeding programmes
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts for school feeding and follow-up on the resourcing of school feeding activities, seeking advice from partnerships and budgeting and programme colleagues where necessary
- Manage the preparation and dissemination of analytical reports, publications, information products and donor proposals related to school feeding for internal and external use
- Represent WFP at forums relating to school feeding through participation, briefings, information products and other materials
- Ensure that school feeding and other social protection activities are linked and integrated into the overall social protection framework in the region
- Provide backstopping support to the Social Protection and Cash Based Transfers activities of the team
- Perform all other duties as may be required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Qualification and Experience:
- Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- 5 or more years of relevant professional experience (preferably including in a regional position), e.g. related to national development programmes, policies, strategies or plans and institutional structures, preferably in relation to food security and/or nutrition and revolving around national capacity building and/or programme and knowledge management
- Has experience working across the WFP programme portfolio including social protection / nutrition / monitoring / evaluation / programme cycle management. .
- Has a good understanding of the Southern African context, including the regional bureau programme portfolio.
- Has engaged in policy discussions and provided input into policy formulation.
- Fluency (level C) in both oral and written communication in English is essential. Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, an asset.