The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This job is based in Quetta working with Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Balochistan, closely liaising with various Government Offices, Departments especially Planning and Development Dept. for technical support and advice to the Balochistan Govt including district Govt & District Disaster Management Authorities (DDMAs), on matters relating to projects, policy advocacy and funding opportunities relating to Emergency preparedness, Resilience, with reporting line to Head of Quetta Provincial Office.
To maintain close coordination and extend technical support, advice and advocacy to PDMA on matters relating to emergency response, preparedness, resilience and livelihood strategies, policies, and programs covered under relevant strategic outcomes of WFP Pakistan Country Strategic Plan (CSP). To provide timely advocacy. To keep close coordination with WFP teams of livelihoods, resilience and M&E/ Vulnerability Assessment and Mapping (VAM) and timely communicate government's relevant plans contributing to WFP mandates. To support PDMA and other departments in humanitarian-development nexus
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Provide technical support to PDMA for effective coordination with Government and Non-Government partners on policy advocacy relating to emergency preparedness, response, resilience and livelihoods activities in the province. To actively lead and extend technical assistance and advice on behalf of PDMA to various sectors of provincial government on key policy matters related to Disaster & Climate Risk management (D/CRM).
- Coordinate with and lead the relevant UN/Government working groups/clusters and inter sectoral Working group et. al.
- Strengthen GoB and WFP partnership and facilitate timely access of WFP to Government's relevant policy documents to provide technical assistance and undertake required advocacy for resilience. This includes keeping the provincial government informed on the value-addition of WFP's technical strengths in Implementation, Research, Assessments and Evaluation. Explore partnership opportunities with the Government, UN and civil society that strengthen existing capacities of WFP programmes and assessments.
- Support PDMA in consultations for Development of Road Map for Disaster/ Climate Risk Management and other response / preparedness/ resilience/ drought mitigation strategies and plans.
- Closely work with the WFP Resilience, Emergency Preparedness, Livelihood, Nutrition, Social Protection and VAM teams for the designing, development and implementation of relevant interventions.
- Ensure adherence to the national and provincial priorities and guidelines in the use of programme modalities such as cash transfers, food and vouchers. Ensure timely responses to the Government queries on WFP operations.
- Timely coordinate with the line departments and WFP relevant sections/VAM unit for planning and designing the required assessments; identifying the current gaps and required response; development of assessment tools and methodologies.
- Ensure data management and conduct technical analysis of the assessment reports for timely decisions. Timely disseminate key findings to all concerned stakeholders and WFP relevant focal points. The staff member will also provide recommendations for resilience, preparedness, nutrition, social protection and livelihood programmes based on findings of assessments and technical inputs into key documents of the Government for the improvement of resilience systems.
- Identify opportunities where WFP can support the Government's efforts and build their capacities. The staff member will also contribute to building, enhancing and sustaining operational capacity of government staff through organizing training to conduct assessments and monitoring in collaboration with stakeholders/WFP units.
- Assist policy level initiatives and programme and creating linkages of PDMA's Road Map with Development Strategies, Plans at both Provincial and National level as well as with SDGs Framework for Balochistan.
- Support the resource mobilization efforts for joint programming the Government
- Other accountabilities, as required
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Economics, Disaster Management, Sustainable Development with supplementary courses.
- Experience: At least 5 years of relevant progressively post graduate responsible experience in field of emergency prepardness, DRR, Climate Risk management, coordination and communication in public sector, involving advocacy and advisory support to government.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good understanding of food security, livelihood and climate/disaster resilience.
- Sound understanding of economic and social issues in the context of Pakistan, particularly Baluchistan.
- Aware of government specific contextual needs, policy directions and immediate, medium and long term plans.
- Applicant is expected to have understanding of different coordination mechanisms in Baluchistan under the government and UN systems.
- Advanced computer skills, including at least intermediate skills in windows based word processing, spreadsheet and database.
- Ability to analyze data and statistics for the analysis of food security indicators ability to conduct assessments particularly in organizational capacity;
- Able to produce high-quality written reports and present it to senior management
- Technical knowledge in data analysis, information management and coordination.
Language: Fluency in English and Urdu language is a must, fluency in local languages (Pushto/ Balochi) is desirable.