The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its efforts to reach those furthest behind first.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staff share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes -- not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focussed team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high profile, difficult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
WFP Malawi is seeking qualified and dynamic candidate for the position as detailed below;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: University degree in Development Studies Economics, Agriculture, Social Science or Environmental Sciences;
- Language: Fluency in English language.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Duties and Responsibilities include ( not all-inclusive);
- Act as a field based technical focal point under the Blantyre Sub Office on resilience programme.
- Support strategic partnerships with key actors and institutions (government, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector) within the area of assignment.
- Represent WFP in technical meetings with Government and other stakeholders in the humanitarian sector at Sub Office level when required;
- With guidance from the Head of Sub Office, liaise with Country Office Programme team on all programme implementation matters, policy guidance, or innovative approaches to managing WFP support to resilience, food and nutrition security, education, etc
- Participate in the design and preparation of the Sub Office’s resilience programme portfolios/ MVAC/complementary activities and any other programme related activities.
- Consolidate monthly, quarterly and end of project reports submitted by the WFP’s NGO partners and provide timely feedback to the partners on the same;
- Provide technical support to Mangochi, Machinga and Balaka staff including FMAs on new approaches to managing food and nutrition security and resilience programmes in coordination with partners, so as to enhance the programs’ efficiency and quality delivery;
- In collaboration with counterparts (government, other UN agencies, and NGOs) support seasonal livelihood programming and community based participatory planning sessions;
- Supervise other programme staff (FMAs and SPAs), provide training and techncal guidance in their work with support from the Sub Office & Lilongwe Office as required, including development and evaluation of individual work plans/performances;
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Experience in implementing technical programs
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.