The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its efforts to reach those furthest behind first.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staff share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes -- not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focussed team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high profile, difficult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Masters degree in International Affairs, Economics, Agriculture, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the Programme Policy Officer (CBT) will be reporting directly to the Head of Programme and will be responsible for the following duties:
Programme Formulation, Implementation and Reporting:
- Provide technical guidance or oversight on CBT/SCOPE strategy and implementation;
- Lead the identification, development and management of potential partnerships with other actors (state/humanitarian/development) to ensure collaborative partnership in the implementation of CBT activities;
- Garner support from other of units to leverage CBT as delivery mechanism when planning, setting up, implementing and reporting on interventions;
- Develop and update operational plans and standard operating procedures (SOP) for interventions using CBT and SCOPE;
- Lead the operational planning for distributions through coordination with financial service providers, cooperating partners as well as retailers where commodity vouchers may be deployed;
- Follow up on beneficiary data management through SCOPE and other monitoring systems, ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained;
- Provide feedback on operational issues arising from the planning, set-up, implementation and reporting on CBT/SCOPE-led interventions/activities.
GO Partnership Management:
- Lead, motivate and develop a team of staff to implement partnership management activities including drafting a roadmap for Coorperating Partner selection in collaboration with Cooperating Partner Committee
- Lead the roll-out and implementation of CP capacity assessments and CP performance evaluations for potential partners and all existing CPs;
- Review the existing basic documents on file and operational tools; develop new ones as appropriate, for efficient management of NGO partnerships as per corporate guidance;
- In collaboration with Blantyre Sub Office and CO activity managers, plan and organize an internal review for narrative proposals and project budgets submitted by prospective NGO partners and ensure compliance with WFP procedures;
- Ensure timely signing of FLAs and that FLA formats and supporting documents are compatible with the new corporate guidance;
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
- Skills in designing and implementing programmes using cash based transfers
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent understanding of national and UN institutional frameworks, including financial management frameworks.
- Knowledge of UN operational programmes, while WFP programmatic and partnership experience is preferred.
- Strong project management skills, personal time management skills, and attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills – helpful in meeting requests for information from donors and partners, as well as in strategizing to meet unit and agency achievements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Progressive professional work experience in the areas of project management, budget management, financial management, partnership management or/ and
- reporting or related areas.
- Experience with beneficiary management systems is also desirable.
- Has taken leadership of implementing programmes.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.