The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- This position is part of WFP Jordan’s capacity strengthening pillar.
- The person will report to the international Social Protection officer.
Job holders operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full. They are usually involved in a wide variety of programme and policy activities and analytical work, some of which may be of a considerable complexity. At this level job holders are expected to contribute to performance improvement.
- The Government has developed a National Social Protection and Poverty Reduction Strategy that calls for improved targeting, coordination and expansion of social protection programmes/safety nets, such as the National Aid Fund (NAF) and the National School Meals Programme (NSMP).
- WFP Jordan is embarking on a new three-year strategy (Jordan Country Strategic Plan 2020 - 2022) which foresees the expansion of support to national social protection systems/safety nets in Jordan (such as social assistance including cash assistance and school feeding programming). That will include providing strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to support to government efforts.
- This position will support WFP’s activities in support of the government’s safety nets and social protection activities, in line with the National Social Protection and Poverty Reduction Strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to efforts in support of the government social protection and safety nets by providing technical assistance, working closely in partnership with government counterparts.
- Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of considerable size/complexity, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Research and analyse a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through providing inputs into training materials.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least three years post graduation experience for advanced university degree or five years for first university degree, and experience in below areas:
- Experience working in or closely with national government at central level
- Experience in capacity strengthening of/technical support to government counterparts Experience in partnership management and building/maintaining strong partnerships
- Experience in designing and managing social protection/safety net activities
- Experience of policy and/or statistical analysis in the field of social protection/safety nets
- Experience in developing and using targeting criteria
- Experience with distribution systems for social benefits
- Experience with beneficiary feedback mechanisms
- Experience with assessments, monitoring and/or evaluation
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Arabic.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- Ability to and experience of coordinating, communicating and working closely with Government counterparts and other stakeholders
- Ability to negotiate with tact and build policy dialogue with government and partners
- Strong team player who is able to establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds