The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position will be based at WFP Country Office Islamabad, Pakistan and will be reporting directly to the WFP Deputy Country Director for Pakistan.
The overall objective of the position is to provide strategic and operational support to internal and external processes and positioning of WFP CO Pakistan in line with the corporate rules and regulations and WFP’s Strategic Plan (2017 -2020) with specific focus on SDG-2 and collaboration with UN agencies under OPIII.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to formulation of WFP-wide programme policies in line with both organisational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field; or translate programme policy into Regional/Country level practices. Developing programme guidance and implementation modalities and operations, to ensure a clear and strong connection between HQ and field operations.
- Provide advice and support to COs on moderately complex issues to clarify ambiguities and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions, and other relevant guidance.
- Provide technical advice or mobilise technical expertise on programme and policy issues including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products, the deployment and testing of innovative approaches and the development of strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition.
- Assist counterparts in governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully employed and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of moderately complex food assistance programmes to strengthen government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition programmes at national and sub-national levels.
- Establish and maintain operational partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work.
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in forums relating to area of specialism, for example food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience or engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials.
- Manage operational research and evidence building on issues relevant to food assistance.
- Manage the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use.
- Contribute to resources mobilisations efforts for WFP projects, including clearly articulating the need for food assistance and related programme opportunities, and follow up on the resource situation of projects including commodity and cash availability, seeking advice from senior colleagues where necessary.
- Advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partner to design and deliver effective food assistance programmes.
- Lead, motivate and develop a team of staff to enable high performance.
- Ensure the best use of assigned financial resources for achievement of set objectives within a moderate budget.
- Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Engineering, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Overall 7+ years of professional experience in development/humanitarian sector. International experience is desirable.
- Has the knowledge/experience of One UN-OPIII. Thorough undersating/experience related to SDG's specially in the context of Pakistan.
- Has experience working across the Program portfolio including VAM/M&E.
- Expereince of leading Sub Office or a small country/area office programme team or a component of a country office programme portfolio.
- Has engaged in policy discussions and provided input into policy decisions.