The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Job holder will work under the supervision of Strategic Outcome Manager (SO 3), receiving guidance and regular feedback from Head of Programme and senior management on work performed. The incumbent will work in coordination with Programme Policy Officers in Country Office, Sub-Offices staff and Field Coordinators (Programme Associates) involved in livelihoods, resilience, climate change adaptation, agribusiness, rural finance and market linkage related interventions.
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet WFP Nepal Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2019-2023 operation needs.
WFP Nepal’s Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2019-2023 has been approved by the WFP Executive Board in its session of November 2019 and it has become effective from 1 January 2019. It aims to contribute to five Strategic Outcomes (SOs) that are aligned to five Strategic Results of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2 (Zero Hunger) and SDG 17 (Partnerships for Development). A total of eight Activities are planned to be implemented to achieve the contributions to the five SOs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Programme Policy Officer (Livelihoods, Agribusiness and Market linkage) will be directly supervised by the Strategic Outcome Manager (SO 3). S/he will ensure that WFP ongoing and upcoming programme/projects activities under CSP (2019-2023) contributing to resilient livelihoods, sustainable and market linkage of smallholder farmers are implemented effective and efficiently by achieving planned outcomes/outcomes against approved annual perfromance and work plan are in consistent with corporate WFP policies and strategies. The key responsiblities include:
- Contribute to the implementation of th WFP policies and programmes aligned with national goals and WFP and wider UNN strategic direction.
- Analyze technical and policy issues, strategies and programme related to agribusiness, food systems and value chain develpment and provide appropriate suggestion to programme team.
- Provide technical guidance for field staff, cooperating partners and communities on all aspects of business planning and implementation of micro and small enterprises e.g., business plan preparation, business model appraisal, business planning and implementation process (ensuring full integration, use and update of the business plans by rural micro and small entrepreneurs (MSE/groups), rural MSE linkages, business and market services and financial inclusion.
- Support in developing and reviewing information materials, technical papers and guidelines related to agricultural economics, agribusiness, value chain and food system development, rural financing/financial inclusion, market and policy analysis, business enabling environment, inclusive business models, entrepreneurship; digital solutions/technologies for value chain development, marketing and market linkages, market information system, value chain finance, business support services; public-private platforms and partnerships etc.
- Contribute to the appraisal of capacity building needs of partners and beneficiaries related to the agribusiness, value chain development and market linkage; and contribute to developing training materials and to training courses and activities.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and government on agribusiness, market linkage, rural financial inclusion and value-chain development and facilitating equitable access to women, marginalized and smallholder farmers.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of programmes and projects related to agribusiness, value chain development, agricultural economics, and agricultural and rural development; as required by Country Office, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance, CSP 2019-2023 and SDG targets.
- Contribute to the collection and dissemination of relevant data and information related to agricultural and development economics, agribusiness, food value chains and systems, including for example, trends and developments, approaches, impacts, lessons and good practices;
- Coordinate and establish operational partnership with Nepal Agriculture Research Council (NARC), Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FNCCI), FNCCI – Agro Enterprise Centre, Chamber of Commerce, and other like-minded public and private sector organizations and pursue linkages and cooperation with other relevant value chain development donor partners, projects and programmes.
- Facilitate market-driven linkages between relevant government agencies, agribusiness producers, consolidators, processors, exporters and other market actors to ensure WFP’s effective partnerships and collaborations on agri-business and investment opportunities.
- Support the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) framework of the project specifically as it relates to agribusiness, value chain development and marketing.
- Contribute to the organization of and/or participate in meetings, conferences, workshops, consultations and field visits as needed; contribute to building collaborations and partnerships;
- Support in result-based management of relevant CSP activities including accurate and timely results reporting and knowledge management.
- Collaborate with other functional units and staff responsible for other WFP activities to deliver value for money services and maintain cost-efficiency.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned by the supervisor/required by country office.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced university degree (Masters) in a relevant discipline: agricultural economics, economics, agribusiness, business, or related field, or First University Degree with more than seven years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Language: Excellent oral and written proficiency in English and Nepali.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Three to five years of work experience in agriculture value chain, market linkage, marketing, agribusiness, agricultural economics, food systems, and/or digital technologies for value chain development and relevant programme design/planning and implementation;
- Sound understanding of agricultural, agribusiness and market related policies, and systems of Nepal;
- Has experience in the design and/or implementation of development/humanitarian programmes;
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions;
- Has experience in liaising with government partners, has good negotiation skills and ability to communicate effectively;
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documents
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to perform well in cross-disciplinary teams
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures in the area of work is an advantage.