Programme Policy Officer
World Food Programme, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Provide backstopping support as well as technical assistance to the 3PA adaptation project, including desk research.
- Liaise with Head Quarter in relation to the development and adaptation of 3PA guidance materials and tools, in relation to urban and displacement.
- Liaise with the concerned Country Offices about SLP initial pilot planning and roll out, including identifying geographical targets, participants for the SLP consultations, other stakeholders for collaboration and leveraging partnership.
- Support the development of partnerships at country level; including with other UN agencies, technical institutions, academia and other actors for the pilots and application of adapted 3PA tools.
- Support the organization and facilitation of pilot SLP consultations.
- Collate and document lessons learned, finding and recommendation from the pilot SLP consultation to further refine the adapted 3PA tools.
- Disseminate refined 3PA tools for wider use in the Regional Bureau in Cairo.
- Prepare narrative and financial reports, communication materials and conduct briefing on the project, as well as documenting good practices in rolling out of the pilot SLPs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Advanced university degree in political/social sciences, international development, development economics, or related fields or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with a minimum 1 year working experience working on urban or displaced population related issues;
- Research experience on urban and population displacement issues;
- Experience in organizing workshops and consultations with government agencies, UN agencies, NGOs and communities;
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good analytical, reporting and writing skills
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Knowledge of key urban and displacement settings characteristics, and humanitarian and development programme challenges and issues;
- Team work and coordination capacities;
- Writing and communication skills in English; ability to produce quality documents and reports;
- Ability to work with minimal daily supervision and exercise sound judgment in organizing activities and meeting deadlines.
Languages: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of Arabic is desirable.