Programme Quality And Learning Manager
Oxfam GB, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
Strategic management and thought leadership
- Understand and ensure compliance with Oxfam and donor programme policies and procedures, in particular lead in the roll out of Oxfam’s programme quality frameworks such as CAMSA
- Contribute to the development and implementation of country strategy and develop and coordinate operational plans to achieve the strategy towards V2020 process.
- Contribute to and support implementation of regional and global Oxfam programme quality strategies, processes, policies, and initiatives. This includes contributing to effective corporate processes and reporting (e.g. Output reporting, indicative outcome areas, Program Quality Reviews etc).
- Undertake overall lead and provide support to Oxfam and partners’ teams in designing and ensuring the operationalization and implementation of effective MEAL strategies and plans for long term development and humanitarian response programme at all levels in line with Oxfam standards and also National & International standards.
- Work with the Programme Director and the different teams to ensure quality, coherence and impact of the Ethiopia programme through monitoring and evaluation (advisory and oversight role) of the impact of the various components of the programme.
- Provide a critically analysis of programme strategies and approaches and facilitate appropriate changes to ensure programme outcomes are sustainable
- Support development of programme strategy that demonstrates wider impact for the benefit of the programme target group
- Support programme teams make complex technical information accessible and usable by non specialist within/out the defined programme area
- Maintain links with regional and global programme development, quality and monitoring initiatives
- In collaboration with the Programme Director, Gender, Livelihood, Resilience, Humanitarian and Influencing Coordinators and teams to design and facilitate programme review/audit process and follow through on effective and timely resolution of matters arising.
- Manage consultants and other service providers when required
Managing programme monitoring, evaluation accountability and learning
- Strengthen donor and beneficiary accountability within the humanitarian and development programmes.
- Provide technical advice and support in designing and implementing long term development and humanitarian response programme and project MEAL systems, including the definition of specific processes, methodologies and tools.
- Working closely with the Programme Managers to ensure that the partners have the necessary organisational and technical capacity to deliver against contracts.
- Ensure compliance with Oxfam’s beneficiary counting methodology, and lead on initiatives to strengthen data and information management.
- Provide assurance and control of the quality of long term and humanitarian response programme and project MEAL that is appropriate to the context and in line with Oxfam standards.
- Work with programme staff, to develop their understanding of the underlying conceptual thinking of developing programme plans and activities within the Rights-Based and One Programme approach
- Maintain oversight for the quality of the work and accountability mechanisms, working together with the technical team; support senior managers in delivering their responsibility for the quality of the work and strong accountability
- As focal a point for Oxfam’s People-soft programme accountability system, review and ensure that project management information is recorded, maintained (kept up to date) and meets minimum standards
- Ensure programme coordinators are kept fully informed of changing internal and external ideas and approaches
- Support programme staff to create and maximise the links between programme work and advocacy and campaign strategies and activities
- Develop, manage plans and coordinate implementation for monitoring and country learning reviews including contributions to strategic technical planning and design of programmes, proposal writing and log frame development
- Organize and manage various knowledge/learning platforms including an online/physical resource centre for use by Oxfam staff and partner organizations.
- Manage capturing, documentation and communication of innovation and best practices within/out country programme and share this across programmes, staff and partners
- In consultation with the members of the other country teams, translate lessons learned at programme level to inform senior programme strategy
Working with partners and stakeholders
- Working closely with Partner Capacity Building Specialist to coordinate the assessment of programme staff and partner programme management capacity
- Work with the Oxfam and partners’ humanitarian response team to develop a culture of programme quality and knowledge-driven programming, providing support to management for evidence-based decision making processes.
- Provide guidance to and support developers and authorisers in ensuring that humanitarian response programme quality is embedded in new projects and that developed projects meet Oxfam quality standards. Influence funding and decision-making processes to ensure adequate resource allocation for MEAL.
- Advice and support Oxfam and partner teams on quality information gathering and analysis at community, local and national level to facilitate informed programme and project design.
- In consultation with the Programme Director and Partners Capacity Building Officers, design and deliver training and support to address staff and partner programme management capacity gaps
- Coordinate the provision of specific technical support and training to partners to improve programme management and organisational systems and processes
- Schedule and manage the delivery of training to staff and partners on Oxfam programme quality standards including CAMSA
- Ensure that accountability and community feedback mechanisms are implemented and utilised according to agreed principles and following the minimum standards of accountability
- Interact with Oxfam communities of practice working on programme quality to represent the issues emerging from the programme, to remain up to date with internal good practice and to solicit capacity building and other support when necessary.
- Where necessary and in consultation with the Programme Manager liaise with donors to address queries and provide programme updates.
People development and management
- Manage and support teams to deliver on the plans, providing leadership, inspiration and guidance
- Lead / support on the design and management of evaluations in compliance with Oxfam’s evaluation policy.
- Facilitate identification of needs, planning, and implementation of Oxfam and partner’s, long term and humanitarian response team capacity building in MEAL, and build capacity of Oxfam and partner staff to deliver MEAL, including through induction, training, and coaching
- Ensure that the management of teams is in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures.
- Ensures that team members have access to staff development opportunities, identify and addresses capacity gaps and provide ongoing counselling and support team members
- Manage the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters
- Undertake other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
skills, experience and knowledge
- Bachelor (BA) or Degree from a recognized university / collage in Social Sciences, Economic Development, International Development or other areas that bring an added value to the related job.
- Relevant experience of 7-10 years for BA / Degree holders (ie. developing and implementing MEAL frameworks, data gathering tools, conducting evaluations and field research in developing countries), preferably in an international NGO, out of which 2 years should be supervisory/managerial experience
- Strong technical competence in research, learning and monitoring and evaluation methods theory and practice. Good critical grasp of latest sector thinking, codes, standards and practice
- Understanding of a broad range of programme quality issues and the practical issues faced by programme managers in demonstrating impact
- Excellent knowledge of programme development and delivery approaches, tools, methodologies and best practices
- Experience of working with multi-donor contracts and knowledge/ experience of their reporting requirements
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create a learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis and experience of delivering capacity building programmes for national level organisations
- Commitment to and knowledge of working with partner-led operational approaches, developing and supporting partner organisations to achieve direct impact and results relating to the programme objectives
- Ability to manage competing tasks. Ability to prioritise and produce high level output consistently
- Strong conceptual, analytical and critical thinking
- High levels of strategic and people management skills, able to support and mentor teams in their professional and personal growth and use a variety of strategies and approaches to motivate teams
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English and Amharic, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills an able to represent Oxfam to donors and external institutions
- Excellent knowledge of the political economy in Ethiopia, politically astute, with a good understanding of key external organisations, how they operate and make decisions, and the country development context
- Ability to work effectively with others persuading, influencing, negotiating and supporting, following as required in order to achieve targets
- Good research and analytical skills and ability to write quality reports and make recommendations for improvements
- Competent in the use of computers especially spreadsheets (Excel), and word processing preferably Word and other Microsoft Office applications like Power Point. Competent in the use of email packages
- Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours. Working away from the office for periods of up to 2 weeks at a time approximately 4 times in any 12 months.
- Willingness to travel including medium/high risk areas
- Post graduate qualification in relevant field of study
- Experience of working in a high profile/large and humanitarian INGO
- Experience of working with Oxfam systems
- Knowledge on donor contract management and compliance issues.