Uganda’s location in the Great Lakes region is strategic for aiding refugees. Following the renewed outbreak of civil war in South Sudan in September 2016 and ongoing conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Government of Uganda and UNHCR estimate that Uganda is presently hosting 1,239,912 refugees. Of these, 808,554 are from South Sudan, 332,506 from the Congo, 38,526 from Burundi, 27,899 from Somalia and 17,257 from other countries.
Understand and ensure compliance with DRC and donor program policies and procedures
Direct and assist in setting of overall strategic priorities and tasks of the grants management team in collaboration with the Grants Management Coordinator
Ensure kick-off, midterm and closure meetings are held for all grants – and improve organizational effectiveness by overseeing and coordinating Programme review/audit process and operational plans to ensure quality, coherence and impact of the DRC Uganda program and follow through on effective and timely resolution of matters arising.
Enforce efficient and compliant grants management processes (enhancing use of RAP, GMS, and other planning and management tools)
Coordination of grants processes of high strategic importance with RO Grants Team and HQ focal persons.
Planning and management of fundraising processes in close collaboration with Head of Programme (HoP), Sector Leads and Field Teams (incl. lead or coordination of fundraising processes, writing, review and quality assurance of proposals as per need)
Contribute to building and maintaining good donor relations under the leadership of CD
Produce and update Country Engagement Strategy (donors and other external stakeholders)
Communication & advocacy:
- Prioritize and plan communications efforts with the Communications Specialist – including documentation of best practices, stories from the field, and news articles aimed at improving DRC’s visibility
- Support to CD in engagement in policy and advocacy efforts in Uganda including through back up on representation in INGO and CRRF forums as needed.
- Provide strategic advice on monitoring evaluation accountability learning and Programme quality as per the DRC Programme Quality Strategy.
- Provide a critically analysis of program strategies and approaches and facilitate appropriate changes to ensure program outcomes are sustainable.
- Direct and assist in setting of overall strategic priorities and tasks of the MEAL team
- Coordinate and produce key baselines, midlines, end lines, evaluations, surveys meeting the expected standards, in close collaboration with RO MEAL specialist and HoP.
- Oversee the effective operationalization of the MIS system and improve the system based
- Support Programme teams in establishing knowledge creation and sharing and learning loops, through for instance production of case studies, presentation of key results for monitoring and evaluation activities, and facilitation of learning and capitalization workshops.
- Oversee and drive special efforts towards higher achievement of CHS standards
- Design and lead the delivery of proactive strategic program quality capacity building plan to support the development of stronger partnership with local NGOs, designing and implementing capacity building initiatives and mobilizing resources for training, coaching and mentoring, as appropriate
- Lead the REDSS engagement for DRC in Uganda and in enhancing the durable solutions agenda in close coordination with CD, HoP and EUTF Consortium Coordinator
- Oversee current and future private sector partnerships / strategic collaboration
Senior Management Team (SMT)
- PQAM is member of Country SMT
- Code of Conduct Reporting Mechanism (CoCRM) intake committee member
- Crisis/Incident Management Team member
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with a proven track record of developing effective initiatives, programmes, and impact.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead country initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- First degree or equivalent in statistics, research methodology, social sciences, or other relevant qualification, and possess strong analytical abilities.
- Master’s degree in International Development, Economics, Project management or closely related field i.e. in the areas of research, assessment, monitoring, learning, and capacity development/transfer or a combined professional qualification. Relevant work experience may be considered.
- Minimum of 8 years “hands-on” working experience in designing learning, and monitoring systems; 3 years at strategic level in similar role, including field experience and/or with institutional donors.
- A good understanding and networking of the Humanitarian and Development Donors in Uganda
- Strong experience in writing proposals, developing programs, understanding and experience of leading and developing consortium proposals, managing partner grants
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with national governments, international and national NGO partners.
- Strong understanding of various stakeholders in Uganda including the Government Institutions, UN Agencies and NGOs is essential.
- Good understanding refugee frameworks including CRRF, REHOPE, and Settlement Transformative Agenda, and development and humanitarian issues in Uganda
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Identify priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required.
- Aptitude and openness to change, with an ability to lead change management