UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply. Our workplace policies promote flexible work arrangements, to support all staff in maintaining a healthy life balance, both in and out of the office.
We are the first United Nations agency to be awarded the EDGE certification – the leading global standard for gender equality in the workplace.
UNICEF prides itself on fostering a multicultural and harmonious work environment, guaranteed by a zero-tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse, and on any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
For every child, results!
Under the direct supervision of the Immunization Manager, Health Section, in Pakistan country office, the Program Specialist will be responsible for the monitoring and reporting requirements of the immunization programme within the Health Section. The incumbent will support the national/field office Immunization Programme Officers to ensure that planned activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner. The incumbent will also play a very important role in monitoring financial indicators. She/he will also support in promoting key lesson generated from supported intervention for knowledge management and wider information sharing with relevant stakeholders. She/he will be responsible for designing and implementing the UNICEF country office supported monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities of immunisation-related projects with focus on integrated health services in urban settings; assisting the Immunization Manager and Program Officers in preparing Quarterly/Annual reports on project progress. She/he will monitor the projects’ activities on a regular basis, developing and maintaining the official data management system, including careful financial planning and management.
How can you make a difference?
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Design and support implementation of Data Management System:
To design data management system, supervise regular data collection through partners and ensure quality of the data by random verification and validations, lead the collection and analysis of different data in relation to supported interventions. Discuss findings with relevant officials based on regular monitoring data.
- Technical Support: Provide technical support on M&E and evidence-based recommendations to Immunization Manager, Program Officers and national level partners and ensure adherence of set standards on monitoring and evaluation by relevant authorities. Collaborate closely with the country office PMER section.
- Partnership Management: The Program Specialist (Monitoring and Reporting) will work in close collaboration with project teams and CO programme and operations clusters, Government officials, private sector, non-government and civil society organizations to monitor results and coordinate activities funded by UNICEF.
- Fund Management: The incumbent will closely work with the PMER and Health section in country and field offices to monitor fund allocation, utilization and reporting.
- Reporting: The Program Specialist will be responsible for working with the CO and field offices teams to generate quality reports for the immunization section and donors including on fund utilization. She/he will also review reports submitted by the implementing partners to ensure receipt of relevant quality reports and share them with PMER.
- KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES, DUTIES and TASKS: Within the delegated authority and the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties and end results
- Design data management system to manage health information/statistics generated by the section and implementing partners
- Work with Program Officers and implementing Partners to collect data in relation to key immunization program indicators and responding to UNICEF reporting requirements
Program Monitoring system:
- Collaborate with Immunization Program Officers to develop monitoring plan of projects being supported by UNICEF in Pakistan
- Supervise implementing partners to ensure quality of data collected by partners
- Provide routine feedback to Immunization team members on Immunization projects’ performance based on monitoring findings
- Provide technical support and relevant trainings to program officers and implementing partners on important matters related to planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Call attention to delay in implementation and fund utilization with suggested actions.
- Carefully check different forms of funds usage against donors condition and proposal commitments.
- Monitoring of grant and non-grant funds allocation and utilization by country and field offices of UNICEF.
- Support colleagues to secure approvals for any re-programming of donor funds.
- Collaborate with PMER team and consultants to conduct project evaluations
- Support relevant officers to conduct routine data quality assessments periodically
- Provide technical support towards the design and dissemination of research studies.
Program Documentation and Results dissemination:
- Support Immunization Officers in developing routine program and financial reports
- Develop and share field visit reports with Immunization Manager and Immunization Officers and ensure that corrective actions are implemented accordingly
- Support existing program documentation systems – real time monitoring and train immunization officers to meet programme and financial monitoring management requirements. Assist the Immunization officers with tools and support them in the use of necessary tools.
Annual Program Planning and reporting:
- Support the Immunization Manager to develop the section annual plan in coordination with Program Officers to meet the requirements of the country annual program planning process
- Ensure quality of data/statistics in project plans for periodic country office reporting expectation
- Participate in annual project reviews and periodic section planning meetings
- Support budget projection and analysis to ensure plans are financially feasible.
- Support in development of proposals, their budgets and associated log frames/ M&E framework.
Program Learning and Knowledge Management:
- In consultation with the Immunization Manager, develop a knowledge management platform to update immunization team members on emerging issues of global and national interest based on new publications/evidence.
- Share key lessons captured from the country office program with relevant stakeholders through relevant platforms
- Support partners in improving learning and sharing mechanisms in their projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An advanced university degree in Public Health, Programme/Project Management, Development Studies, Social Science field. Further education and training in financial management will be an asset.
- At least 5years’ experience in public health project/ programme management involving monitoring and evaluation activities. Experience in field data collection and data management. Good understanding of monitoring and evaluation techniques and processes as well as analytical skills. Work experience with UNICEF or any UN agency will be an additional asset.
- Excellent computer knowledge with command of computer data management systems. Demonstrates integrity in line with UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate: UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication (II), Working with People (II) and Drive for Results (II).
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Applying technical expertise
- Learning and researching
- Planning and organizing