The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Afghan Displacement Solutions Platform is a joint initiative launched by the Danish Refugee Council, International Rescue Committee, Norwegian Refugee Council and Relief International, which aims to contribute to the development of comprehensive solutions for displaced Afghans. Drawing upon its members’ operational presence in the region, the ADSP engages in constructive dialogue and evidence-based advocacy initiatives, in order to support improved outcomes for displaced Afghans, with a focus on the development of innovative, transitional solutions to the challenges posed by displacement. The ADSP is expanding, and is looking for a Senior Officer who can support its work. The Programme Specialist will be responsible for a wide range of varied tasks including overseeing ADSP research and training activities; supporting learning and knowledge dissemination events and representing ADSP in external meetings.
- Act as focal point for all ADSP research and data collection activities, conducted both by ADSP partners and by external consultants
- Support the planning, implementation and analysis of ADSP research and data collection activities, ensuring that all ADSP-produced products are accurate and of a high quality
- Support the production, design and dissemination of ADSP research products
- Working with the Coordinator and ADSP members, identify further areas for research and opportunities to expand ADSP’s activities
- Support the organization and facilitation of ADSP meetings, technical workshops, and learning events
- Monitor the publication and dissemination of research relating to solutions for Afghan refugees and ensure that the publication catalogue and website are regularly updated
- Act as communications focal point, ensuring that ADSP members are regularly provided with high quality and informative communications products
- Provide capacity building support to ADSP partners and others on concepts around durable solutions
- Organize and conduct trainings on durable solutions to ADSP partners and members of other agencies
- Represent ADSP in external meetings and workshops
- Working with the ADSP Coordinator, monitor budgets and work plans to ensure that ADSP activities are on track
- Provide support to ADSP members as required in order to further the aims of the ADSP
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree essential, master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three years working with International NGOs
- Experience of supporting data collection and research activities essential, expertise in areas such as statistical analysis and database construction desirable
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and spoken English an absolute requirement
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and respect deadlines
- Ability to be self-motivated and independent desirable
- Previous demonstrable experience of conducting training and capacity building
- Excellent understanding of protection and the challenges faced by people in displacement
- Good understanding of the regional and global policy environment
- A keen sense of interest and a taste for travel and exploration are essential to success in this role
- Dari – written and spoken
- Pashto – written and spoken
- English – written and spoken – a high level of fluency required.