About the Organization:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) based in Paris. They declared purpose is to contribute to promoting international collaboration in education, sciences, and culture in order to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom proclaimed in the United Nations Charter.
Position: Programme Specialist (Education)
Programme design, management and assessment:
- Design, coordinate and monitor the implementation of activities and projects within the framework of UNESCO's Medium Term Strategy (C/4), and the Approved Programme and Budget (C/5), in addition to global development plans, such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), whilst ensuring their consistency with the national priorities of the Member States.
- Conceptualize and execute technical assistance and capacity development of education projects and provide intellectual and strategic advice on the preparation of country level co-operation plans.
- Mobilize resources to support the Sub-Regional Education Programmes and the advancement of the national education system in the cluster countries, through the preparation of project proposals and diligent negotiation with donor agencies and other partners in South Asia.
- Participate in joint UN programming activities related to education and pursue and maintain strategic partnerships to promote the technical contribution of UNESCO to the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and related UN Country Team working groups in an effort to advance programmatic work and visibility for the Organization.
- Act as Chief of the Education Unit of the Office and ensure the efficient execution of budgetary resources allocated to the Education portfolio, and provide guidance, technical backstopping, supervision and capacity development to its staff members.
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation of and report on regular programme activities and extra-budgetary projects related to improve the quality and relevance of education.
- Provide specialized advice, technical support and backstopping, to prepare and implement programmes (Regular Program and Extra Budgetary) along with relevant research and analytical work.
- Advocate for and engage in policy dialogue with education authorities and other stakeholders for the countries covered by the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, Cluster Office for Bhutan, India, Maldives and Sri Lanka.
Networking, Communication, Knowledge Management and Partnerships:
- Mobilize and coordinate with partners and organize consultations and capacity development activities in the fields of Education programme.
- Leverage relationships within and across teams at UNESCO while building external partnerships to promote UNESCO programmes, projects well as to increase visibility, resources and partnership.
- Coordinate and ensure synergies with public and private partners, Regional Economic Communities, UNCTs, research institutions, multi and bilateral agencies and civil society organizations for the promotion of quality and relevant education in the region.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of a comprehensive communication and resource mobilisation strategy with particular reference to the assets, potential and outreach of the team under his/her supervision.
- Mobilize extra budgetary resources in line with country policy priorities and UNESCO’s overall resource mobilization strategies.
Project, Activities and Team Member Management, Assessment and evaluation:
- Supervise, manage and lead a multi-disciplinary team of staff and experts to respond the requests of Member States in issues related to quality and relevance of education in a timely and effective manner.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, economics, social science, development studies or related fields.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience in the field of education of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Proven experience in designing, implementation and monitoring education policies, strategies and programmes.
- Experience working with government counterparts and organized education stakeholders.
- Proven experience in education research, evaluation and data-driven reporting.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.