The Volunteer Advisory Services Section (VASS) helps to position UNV as a Knowledge and Policy hub on volunteerism for the Sustainable Development Goals, developing knowledge, evidence and policy to support implementation and achievement of Outcome 1 of the Strategic Framework (the efforts of Member States to deliver on the 2030 Agenda are supported through volunteerism as an effective means of implementation and people engagement) through research, the generation of knowledge and evidence and the provision of technical advisory services to UN member states on research, measurement and volunteer infrastructure. VASS also hosts the Plan of Action Secretariat on Volunteerism.
Reporting to the Programme Specialist, Plan of Action Secretariat, the Programme Specialist, Plan of Action Knowledge is responsible for developing and maintaining knowledge to inform policy outreach for the Plan of Action, including through the development of an online knowledge portal and leading and facilitating the documentation of knowledge and evidence with external stakeholders. He/she leads and coordinates Plan of Action work on gender and volunteerism and stakeholder engagement with the private sector. He/she provides matrix supervision to the Programme Associate, Volunteer Advisory Services for Plan of Action objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
Development and maintenance of knowledge for an online portal for the Plan of Action as part of efforts to position UNV as a Knowledge and Policy Hub
- Develop options and a business case for the development on an online knowledge portal which integrates the Volunteer Infrastructure database, research publications and interactive systems and spaces for knowledge sharing, learning and documenting evidence on volunteerism and agenda 2030 and the Plan of Action;
- Develop and implement a workplan for the delivery of the online knowledge portal for its launch at the 2020 Global Technical Meeting;
- Identify, curate and develop the knowledge, evidence and analysis on volunteerism for the SDGs as for the portal;
- Lead and steer online discussions on the Plan of Action and volunteerism for the SDGs to facilitate policy debate, knowledge exchange and outreach;
- In conjunction with the Programme Specialists/Analysts, Volunteer Advisory Services based in the Regional Offices, collect, input and quality control outstanding member state data on volunteer infrastructure into the volunteer infrastructure database;
- Coordinate with the Information and Communication Technology Section as required, ensuring that the appropriate technology is used to meet the portal requirements;
- Develop feedback mechanisms ensuring the portal is updated according to changing user needs.
Documentation of knowledge, evidence and lessons learnt for the Plan of Action through a systematic approach
- Develop, implement and oversee a knowledge and evidence workplan for the Plan of Action including contributions from UNV and other stakeholders;
- Develop a clear documentation system for knowledge and evidence for the Plan of Action Secretariat;
- Manage external stakeholder involvement in the development of knowledge and evidence materials;
- Using key Plan of Action themes, analysis from the National Situational Analysis, Voluntary National Reviews, research and country best practices shape, develop and write the content of key analytical materials including strategic and thematic notes, think pieces and blogs;
- Synthesize key reports and contribute to Plan of Action thematic evidence;
- Oversee and coordinate the production of the Global Technical Report and the Regional Synthesis Reports in liaison with the Programme Specialists/Analysts, Volunteer Advisory Services based in the Regional Offices.
Coordination of work on gender and volunteerism and stakeholder engagement with the private sector for the Plan of Action
- Analyse existing documents and research on gender and volunteerism to bring out key trends, themes and questions to inform the framing of gender issues within the Plan of Action process;
- Coordinate with the Programme Specialists/Analysts, Volunteer Advisory Services based in the Regional Offices to build up a body of evidence and best practices on gender and volunteerism;
- Organise and facilitate thematic consultations on gender, volunteerism and the SDGs with diverse stakeholders.
- Develop an engagement strategy for the private sector for the Plan of Action;
- Together with key private sector interlocutors, develop key themes relating to the private sector for the Plan of Action;
- Lead external relations with the private sector on substantive issues relating to the Plan of Action in liaison with the External Relations and Communications Section.
Production of knowledge and research products for the Volunteer Advisory Services Section
- Lead and manage the entire process of production of UNV flagship and SG Reports and all knowledge production activities;
- Review and edit reports, studies and other knowledge products to ensure clarity and impactful cases and conclusions for various target audiences;
- Coordinate and support the promotion and dissemination of the reports in collaboration with the Programme Associate, Volunteer Advisory Services and the External Relations and Communications Section;
- Develop and maintain internal and external partnerships that are relevant and strategic for continuously improving UNV’s production lines.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done
- Knowledge Curation: Ability to turn raw information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to stated need
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Report Writing: Ability to prepare quality reports
- Sustainable Development: Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Gender Issues and Analysis: Knowledge of gender issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a gender perspective
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, International Development or related topic.
- 5 years of work experience in international development;
- Experience working on information and knowledge management and/or communication including the organization, development and dissemination of knowledge and publications;
- Experience working on the development of online knowledge portals or platforms is a distinct advantage;
- Experience in volunteerism and human development fields is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language, preferably French, Spanish or Arabic is a strong asset.
Other: Excellent writing and analytical skills.