This varied and challenging role involves coordinating and managing the main support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and base security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles the Project Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Duhok, Ninewa and Kirkuk with an expectation to expand into additional governorates in 2016. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance with a strong emphasis on CASH based interventions.
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the bases including set-up, staff supervision, base security, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers.
- Work in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met. Ensure all internal financial controls are in place.
- Oversee the logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment. Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained.
- Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out.
- As requested, attend relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information.
- Ensure base security procedures are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information. This includes reviewing security arrangements on a regular basis, maintaining communication, providing briefings and ensuring the availability of emergency equipment.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
- Participate as a member of the Duhok Security Management Team (SMT).
- Draw up and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports and contribute on request to external reports.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Oversee permission letters, residency procedures and any admin activities required by government.
- Manage and oversee the assigned programme support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities and other NGOs.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures.
- Review and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work.
Emergency Response: When required and relevant, be available for secondment to emergency response activities and teams, providing good knowledge of local activities and support structures.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Team-player but also able to work independently.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Working Conditions: This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.