Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe. We provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
DRC was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been working in Afghanistan for twenty years, first through engagement with the Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees (DACAAR) and through DRC’s mine action unit, the Danish Demining Group (DDG) and since 2012 as part of a full DRC country operation, working in the sectors of mine action, protection, livelihoods and emergency response. DRC Afghanistan’s operation now includes a Country Office in Kabul, a network of five main Area Offices across the country and a range of smaller temporary and permanent satellite sites, providing close to nationwide reach for its team of over 1,100 staff.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role
The Programme Support Manager (PSM) is responsible for ensuring ‘quality’ throughout relevant designated parts of the project cycle. In close coordination with Head of Programme (HoP) and the Head of Ops (DCD), the PSM leads and coordinates preparation and submission of new proposals. During the grant cycle, the PSM is responsible for the coordination, finalization and submission of financial and narrative grant reports, in close collaboration with the programme and support services departments. Within this reporting responsibility, the PSM also oversees the registration of grants and reporting against grant financial and narrative targets on a biannual and end-of-project basis for the GoA’s Ministry of Economy and relevant Line Ministries, such as MoRR, MoLSA and DMAC. In light of the fact that the PSM is a focal point for reporting and sharing of information, the PSM is also made responsible as the Comms focal point within the country programme, keeping track of media approaches, activities etc.
- Act as the lead writer/coordinator/editor for concept notes and proposals, as needed. These will be designed in collaboration with HoPs, technical sector coordinators, DCD Head of Ops, Area Managers, ensuring that DRC’s programme handbook guidelines are incorporated into proposal design.
- Ensure communication between all departments (finance, program, and area operations) in drafting of budgets.
- Contribute (alongside relevant colleagues) to the development of strong data collection and monitoring & evaluation plans within each proposal, including well-designed log-frames and indicators.
- Ensuring development and submission of specific reports alongside relevant colleagues. This includes following reporting/proposal development deadlines and planning. As well as, but is not limited to, communicating with relevant staff members to ensure timely and quality inputs, verifying data and donor compliance.
- Assist senior management in donor liaison and communication. Represent DRC in other external meetings with stakeholders and coordination meetings.
- Maintain up-to-date information on donor priorities and funding opportunities, as part of a fundraising plan
- Coordinates the bi-monthly Grants Management Meeting in line with established methodology
- Assumes responsibility over efficient management and maintenance of grants’ related documentation
- Manages the implementation of the organizational annual communication plan and the maintenance of grants’ archives and other ad-hoc communication related tasks, including coordination with Grants Focal Points on visibility commitments in grants
- Provides direct line management to departmental staff, including task delegation and their review.
- External and Internal Communications: The PSM will work closely with the Communication Officer (CO) to further develop a comprehensive media, advocacy and communications strategy, ensuring smooth flow of information, good relations with high profile visitors and the media, and high-quality reporting to showcase DRC Afghanistan activities and achievements.
- Undertake additional duties as assigned by line manager.
- Development and maintenance in conjunction with HoPs of a fundraising strategy (inc donor outreach plan)
- Effective proposal writing in coordination with relevant DRC-DDG team members
- On time submission of reports to management, donors, government in coordination with relevant DRC-DDG team members
- Implementation of the organizational annual communication plan and the maintenance of grants’ archives
- University degree;
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to determine priorities and pay attention to detail;
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc;
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player;
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment and undertake a proactive approach.
- 3-5 years’ professional work experience in humanitarian organizations;
- Understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks;
- Knowledge of the local context in Afghanistan is a strong asset;
- Experience with Government of Afghanistan is an asset;
- Experience/exposure to issues in the realm of mine action is an asset;
- Experience of key donor (UN, EC, USG, etc.) regulations, procedures and requirements.
Languages: Fully expert in written and spoken English.