The purpose of this post is to provide grants and financial management support, programme
administration, project implementation support, consortium co-ordination and fundraising
support to specific areas of the Europe, Middle East, North Africa Programme. While the role
will be shared across the Europe, Middle East, North Africa Programme, priority will be given
to co-ordinating Alert’s projects in the South Caucasus and Ukraine programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Grants management support
Payments and procurement:
lead on processing payments out of London as per Alert procurement procedures; review supporting documentation, ensure that allpayments are duly signed, and documentation attached is sufficient.
Regularly update and review project accounts and monitoring
budgets and liaise with budget holders where necessary and in collaboration with the
Senior Grants and Finance Officer.
lead on the preparation and maintenance of project spending plans
and work with budget holders to ensure the plans are up to date.
Financial reporting: lead on the review and processing of quarterly financial reports
from field-based partner organisations and country offices.
support liaise with auditors (both internal and external), budget holders
and the core finance department. Prepare audit files.
Partner and consultant sub-contracts:
draft consultancy and partnership
agreements (Contracts, ToR, budgets, etc.) with field-based consultants and partner
organisations, based on project budgets and action plans, ensuring compliance with
internal Alert policies and donor requirements and monitoring expenditure in
accordance with the deliverables outlined in the contract, etc.
Assist in preparing donor financial reports and prepare invoices as
per the grants schedule in liaison with the Senior Grants and Finance Officer.
Assist in reallocations, tracking income and update the necessary finance monitoring tools;
- Record necessary transactions on to the finance software;
- Support with departmental budgeting process by liaising with teams;
Programme coordination and support
Gather monthly timesheets, update salary allocations, and submit to
core finance as per the deadline. Support the Senior Grants and Finance Officer in
maintaining the salary planner.
Operational Systems: Provide support in upgrading operational systems (including
security plans, HR management systems, etc.) in focal countries.
Support with intranet filing, set up of folders for new
project sites and saving key grant information to the correct folders; Maintain
programme calendars, contact networks and databases.
Project implementation support
lead on the budgeting and organising logistics for events (both in
the UK and abroad), ensuring smooth ‘behind-the scenes’ running of events
contributing towards a positive working atmosphere.
- Lead on the procurement of tickets, booking of accommodation, meals, transport,
- allocation of per diems for staff and participants, and organisation of cultural
- programmes accompanying project events etc. ensuring procurement guidelines are
- Coordinate prep and follow up for training events including liaising with trainees,
- preparing materials as needed;
- Take and circulate notes from departmental meetings;
- Provide general administrative support to senior project staff and consultants as and
- when required;
- Supervise volunteers and interns when requested.
Programme Design and Fundraising support
- Budgeting: Support the Senior Programme Design and Assessment Officer(s) and
- senior staff in the bidding process (grants/commercial contracts) by contributing to
- the budgeting process.
- Work with local partners to help with drafting their proposal budgets;
- Participate in the development and implementation of activities and strategies,
- identified together with the project leaders. In time, the post may take on specific
- responsibility for certain aspects of projects;
- Coordinate administrative and financial tasks for the proposal preparation as needed;
- • Contribute to team-wide communications and knowledge management, and
- participate in organisation-wide events and discussions on related topics/projects
- • Assist on coordinating inductions of new staff within the EMENA team, including
- liaising with HR, IT and Facilities to ensure all procedures are followed for all new
- Any other tasks as deemed appropriate and commensurate with this position’s level of
This position is based in London with regular travel to Europe, South Caucasus and Ukraine
where this is possible.
- 1-2 years’ experience in grants management and/or supporting a programme, team or project
- Experience in organising events, workshops and meetings including preparation of logistics
- and follow up
- Experience in budget preparation and budget monitoring
- A strong interest in learning how NGOs operate at the financial and administrative level
- Good understanding of the project cycle
- Office administration experience, including basic experience of developing tracking systems for
- efficiency and effectiveness such as timesheets or documents for a proposal submission
- Proven computer literacy (Word, Excel) with spreadsheets (e.g. ability to use formulae,
- databases and financial data management systems)
- Meticulous attention to detail, particularly in regards of financial data management and takes
- pride in the quality of their work
- Good writing skills in English and ability to communicate complex concepts simply
- Good interpersonal skills, including team working and networking skills
- Ability to work under pressure, with strict deadlines, and to prioritise clearly
- Ability to interact and work with people from a range of cultural and intellectual backgrounds
- Fluency in Russian
- A degree in finance or equivalent is highly desirable
- Post-graduate degree in international relations, development studies, or other relevant
- discipline from the sector
- Previous experience in managing grants and familiarity with donor compliance requirements.
- Experience of reviewing financial reports
- Knowledge of international affairs and development and interest in peacebuilding issues
- Familiarity with EU, USAID and CSSF grant requirements and experience in the NGO sector
- Knowledge of/ interest in post-Soviet societies
- Experience in fundraising