UNDP has recently signed a project of “Strengthening tsunami and earthquake preparedness in coastal areas of Pakistan project”, with the financial assistance from Government of Japan. UNDP will closely work with NDMA, Sindh and Balochistan PDMAs, PMD and other stakeholders for initiating policy discourse on existing capacity and institutional arrangement of different agencies involved in disaster risk preparedness and response in the coastal areas. The project will upgrade the existing system of tsunami early warning, national seismic monitoring by providing relevant early warning, communications, remote sensing and IT equipment to relevant institutions (PMD and its National Seismic Monitoring Tsunami Early Warning Center, NDMA/PDMAs). The project will undertake a detailed earthquake and tsunami risk assessment of three selected districts of the project.
Tsunamis affect communities in many ways and for the reduction of loss of lives and damage to assets/critical infrastructure, the project will install 06 tsunami early warning systems in project target districts, through revision of district specific SOPs, installation of EWS equipment, including through modern communication tools. UNDP will closely work with PDMAs of Sindh and Balochistan and will provide technical trainings to government officials on carrying our relief, search & rescue operations. UNDP will establish youth groups in selected villages/ settlement in all three project districts and evacuation drills will be organized in schools and in health facilities by simulating earthquake and tsunami scenarios.
Furthermore, project will do mangrove plantation and reinforcing and retrofitting of facilities for earthquake and tsunami mitigation & preparedness and community through low-cost retrofitting of the selected buildings against earthquake and tsunami risk. UNDP will also Identify and develop tsunami evacuation sites (designated areas with shelter facilities), prepare and mark evacuation routes with tsunami signboards following regional and global best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to project management
- Administrative support to the project
- Support to resource mobilization
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
- Collection and analysis of information from partners for donor briefings
- Preparation of financial reports to donors
Provides effective support to project management
- Creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of a project.
- Presentation of information for audit.
- Coordination with implementing partners on administrative and financial issues and revision of financial reports submitted by partners
Provides administrative and financial support to the project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
- Support the project in compiling and developing project work-plans, project budgets and expenditure reports; budget revisions as per work plan revisions.
- Maintain and update financial reports,project correspondence, donor reporting.
- Preparation of requests for payments, scrutiny and verification of supporting documents to ensure accuracy of financial information submitted for payment processing based on relevant contracts and agreements.
- Review of payment request for accuracy and compliance.
- Preparing and submission of on demand financial reports to project management and component leads.
- Follow up with UNDP Core finance team for queries, observations, and timely payment processing.
- Regular scrutiny of the actual financial data of project to monitor for any variance, exceptions and suggest corrective actions including recommendations for necessary budget amendments.
- Ensure integrity of financial and administrative procedures as well as a consistent application of UNDP rules and procedures about project implementation and compliance with internal control framework of UNDP.
- Proper management of the contribution’s management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with applicable UNDP Operational Policies.
- Keep track of inventory items issued to project partners. Project level stock taking at regular intervals.
- Review and monitor Implementing Partner’s disbursements, FACE form review and analysis of advances, expenditures, and settlements in ATLAS ERP system.
- Capacity development of implementing partner’s staff on Financial and administrative management and UNDP applicable rules and regulations.
- Support Admin & Finance staff on policies & guidelines, sharing advisories and learning platforms and to track the project budget, Common Services cost sharing and actual expenditure reporting.
- Support the programme team in coordination Government and other partners for events, workshops and meetings, including preparation of agenda, invitations, and drafting and circulation of minutes of the meetings;
- Provide travel arrangement support to the staff including travel authorization, raising requisition and request for security clearance, transport and hotel accommodation and processing of related payments;
- Manage project’s vehicle and logbooks verification, POL and maintenance of equipment and ensure that project resources are utilized with due diligence.
- Knowledge building and sharing, Operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ project staff
- Training of implementing partners in financial management
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Level 1.1: Preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Secondary Education, University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Finance, Political Sciences, and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Experience: 6 Years of relevant administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in the English and Urdu required.