UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Achieving the goal of gender equality, particularly with respect to women’s political participation and leadership, has become a key priority in Turkey. While progress has been consistent in the fields of women’s education and health, women have been unable to advance politically in significant numbers, especially at the local level. To address this democratic deficit, UN Women has implemented a Gender Equality in Political Leadership and Participation in Turkey project since 2015. The project aimed to ensure that women participate in all aspects of decision making, especially within the Turkish Grand National Assembly (TGNA), and the Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men (EOC) was the main beneficiary.
In 2019-2020 UN Women will start a new phase of the Gender Equality in Political Leadership and Participation in Turkey project which will seek to support women in various positions of leadership including women elected to municipal councils, in municipal government, in parliament and in civil society. The project will bring together gender equality advocates and women in leadership positions to encourage multi-stakeholder dialogues on issues that can advance gender equality and women’s empowerment at the national and local level such as the application of gender responsive budgeting (GRB), eliminating violence against (EVAW), and gender sensitive governance. Grounded in UN Women’s Strategic Plan (2014-17), the project works to ensure:
- Legal frameworks and policies to advance gender equality and women’s right to participate in decision making are reformed/adopted and implemented;
- Gender responsive measures (mechanisms, processes and services) promote women’s leadership and participation in politics; and
- Gender equality advocates influence legal frameworks and policies to increase women’s leadership and political participation.
The project will include capacity development and training activities, advocacy and the exchange of best practices within Turkey and with women leaders in the region. The project is implemented by UN Women, in partnership with the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).
Reporting to Project Manager, the Project Analyst works with and provides support to the members of the Project Team in the development and implementation of an effective project consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and project implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Project Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the UN Women Turkey Office in Ankara, RO and UN Women HQ as required for resolving complex finance-operations related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide advanced administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of the project
- Provide advanced administrative support and inputs in the preparation of project work plans, budgets, and proposals on project implementation arrangements;
- Supports the work of the UN Women Project Manager as necessary in implementing and monitoring activities under the project;
- Support the Project Manager in financial, technical and methodological aspects of implementation;
- Ensures logistics are properly undertaken pertaining to the organization of workshops, seminars, events, and other activities, and prepares relevant budgets and participant lists;
- Maintains ongoing contact with partners, including government, civil society organizations, international organizations, UN agencies, and donors;
- Communicate with stakeholders and partners from governmental bodies, CSOs and experts;
- At the direction of the Project Manager drafts routine correspondence (in English and Turkish)
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of annual work plans, annual progress reports;
- Assists the Project Manager monitoring and evaluating the performance of partners under contracts/agreements with UN Women;
- Assist the Project Manager in identification and recruitment of Human Resources (including consultants);
- Coordination of meetings, Project Manager’s missions, including the development of background materials and other relevant reports and documentation;
- Provides translation from English to Turkish and vice versa;
- Coordinate the collection of information for any audits/evaluations of the project and support implementation of audit/evaluation recommendations;
- Contribute to the development or update of standard operating procedures, guidelines, checklists, templates and business processes in project management.
Provide advanced administrative support to the financial management of the Project
- Prepare spending plans and budget revisions, and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project in Atlas;
- Monitor budget preparation and the finances of project; support finalizing FACE forms;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system; post transactions in Atlas;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for project; register receipts in Atlas.
Provide advanced administrative support to the Project
- Oversee all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Oversee travel arrangements for the Project Team, Support and coordinates all logistics related to staff travel such as lodging, transportation and prepares Travel Authorizations and ensures Travel Claims are properly filled and original documents kept on file;
- Liaise with high level officials on administrative issues;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations; contribute inputs to the materials;
- Receives and approves invoices for purchased goods and services and submits them to the Turkey Office for payments in a timely manner. Ensures that correct information on vendors is provided to the Turkey Office;
- Manages electronic /manual registry of all correspondence received, ensures correct distribution, monitors and tracks correspondence to ensure responsiveness;
- Provides general advice and information on UN rules and regulations and ensures that all operations are in compliance with these rules/regulations;
- At the direction of the supervisor drafts correspondence on various issues.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt, and best practices related to project management and finance;
- Coordinate the organization of training for project staff and operations related issues
- Carry out research and analysis on issues related to women’s political participation and leadership
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall project finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for project management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems;
- Quality background and presentation materials.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of project management;
- Ability to create, edit, synthesize and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Excellent financial and budgeting skills;
- Excellent IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public administration, political science, law, human rights, gender equality, management, social sciences or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in supporting complex and multi-component programme interventions with national partners;
- Experience in the gender equality is an asset;
- Experience in supporting coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluating of development programmes and projects;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- UN experience is an asset;
- Experience in procurement related issues is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Turkish is required