Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members
The position is assigned in the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers in operations Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
To assist the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) in managing the performance of Bangladesh and BRM urban portfolio financed by ADB, and in handling loan/grant/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, by coordinating and consolidating project information to achieve specific project implementation functional results, and provide diversified analytical, statistical and administrative support to the function of urban sector. The position will report to designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Maintain database for managing Bangladesh and BRM urban portfolio.
- Compile statistical data on projects/TAs and process such data into meaningful reports for inclusion in the BRM's urban portfolio review papers including those for country project review meetings and other project review meetings.
- Monitor progress on contract awards and disbursements, alert Portfolio Administration Unit (PAU) Head on possible risks, and suggest steps to be undertaken to improve progress.
- Coordinate meetings on urban portfolio performance including preparing project performance reports, minutes of meetings, and following up with concerned parties on the implementation of the agreed measures.
- Actively contribute to the administration of some of the more complex delegated projects, including the review of bid documents and evaluations, preparation of project performance reports, and drafting of correspondence.
- Contribute to the preparation of Project Administration Memorandum (PAM).
- Liaise with and support BRM Staff, HQ Staff, and government agencies, to facilitate administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance projects; and ensure the implementation of the agreed plan for managing project administration
- Monitor physical progress of the loan and TA projects implementation.
- Assist in the implementation of procurement plans, review procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates.
- Assist in monitoring estimated project and loan/TA closing dates and seek approvals for extension of loan/TA closing dates.
- Provide support in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA Completion Reports as needed.
- Undertake the collection and consolidation of periodic reports on the performance of BRM's project portfolio, such as the semi-annual report on loan and TA portfolio performance, and the status of project completion reports (PCRs)/TA completion reports (TCRs); carry out necessary analysis of such reports and bring key matters to the attention of the concerned Project Officer. Assist in updating project performance reports (PPRs).
- Assist in processing disbursements for projects by following up with EAs on timely submission of withdrawal applications, reviewing withdrawal applications for compliance with the loan agreement, and preparing/reviewing data input for Procurement Contract Summary Sheet (PCSS) to update the Loan and Financial Information System (LFIS).
- Provide government departments and EAs regular updates of PPRs of projects.
- Act as the first-line of information for BRM in handling requests from government agencies and others for data and status reports on ADB assisted projects.
- Coordinate such efforts within the office to ensure correct and timely responses by BRM to EAs/others.
- Perform any other duties as required and reflected in the incumbent's workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, urban planning, finance, or equivalent academic qualifications
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in urban sector and a sound understanding of procedures and practices related to country operations programming, project development, and processing; related experience in international agencies will be preferred
- Proven ability to undertake background research and analysis on difficult and well-defined tasks, collect and organize required data and information, apply appropriate computer skills in analyzing and developing data, and in preparing notes, papers and sections of reports
- Ability to establish and maintain productive contacts with appropriate officials of host government, donor agencies and executing agencies
- Proficiency in the use of technology packages (common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics, PowerPoint and web-browsing and search engines)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required