Decentralization & Local Governance is a multi-year, multi-tier, multi sector and multi-stakeholder project launched by UNDP Pakistan to strengthen participatory federalism and decentralization against the backdrop of 18th Constitutional Amendment (2010). The Project views the 18th Amendment through a governance, development and public policy lens and identifies strategic areas of intervention to transition management of democratic devolution at federal, provincial and local levels. The core objective of the project is to assist institutional mechanisms to strengthen effective service delivery for peace and development and ultimately contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Chief Technical Specialist (CTS) Decentralization and Local Governance Project (D&LG),the Project Assistant shall perform the following:
- Assist the Project Analyst in coordinating with project partners for data collection, analysis and consolidation for internal and external reporting
- Assist the DLG team in preparing regular updates, briefing notes and thematic presentations on on-going and planned project interventions
- Take lead in preparing and updating project dashboard with all internal and external planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation deadlines
- Regularly share updates from potential funding partners on thematic areas relevant to the project
- Keep track of progress against deliverables of ICs and Firms contracted by the Project to ensure timely and quality delivery
- Ensure the implementation of UNDP Procedures and Policies in the Project activities.
- Take lead in managing and following up on all evaluations of ICs and RFPs; including updating and sharing ‘job specific’ templates with panel members.
- Prepare and maintain training calendar for project/s on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Maintains data base of training participants with current contact details;
- Act as the project focal point in researching potential partners and assisting the project analyst in engaging partners through programmatic agreements (LOAs, MCGAs, RPAs etc.)
- Assist the team in drafting Project AWPs, concept notes, project proposals and budgeted workplans for submission to potential funding partners
- Prepare training budgets estimates, against available donor funds.
- Make travel arrangements for the training participants and complete necessary supporting documents for settlement of their expense claims.
- Identify, book training venue and seek necessary approvals to hold trainings/meeting event
- Assist finance assistant in creation of the online Travel authorization.
- Be responsible for maintaining training files soft and hard copies.
- Prepare training notes and ensure that the training reports are consolidated and filed.
- Liaise with UNDP CO communications team to ensure that UNDP branding protocols are adhered; act as project focal point for communication related activities and representation at various forums
- Coordinate with the project’s subject specialist experts to ensure cross-fertilization and a cohesive approach to implementation between their individual areas of expertise.
- Preparation and dissemination of all routine communication of project with international and national partners
- Maintain all relevant project communications with international and national partners both in soft and hard copy.
- Maintain all project reports, evaluations, means of verifications and publications both in soft and hard copy
- Perform any other related duty as and when required.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall implementation of D&LG project. The impact will be visible through effectiveness of project planning, implementation, reporting and project proposal development.
Knowledge and Skills.
- Prior working experience with public, private and development sectors in the areas of governance, socio-economic development and reform
- Demonstrates good understanding of gender equality and gender mainstreaming
- Good understanding of geographic spread of Pakistan.
- Good understanding of Government institutional and policy set up at various tiers of provincial and federal government.
- Ability to cope with uncertainty and to work under pressure.
- Strong ethics, inter personal skills and a collaborative attitude and team player.
- Strong analytical skills and critical thinking skills, and
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Responds positively to feedback and take corrective actions
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in teams and assume leadership wherever necessary
- Ability to cope with high pressure and stress in an effective manner
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong ethics, a collaborative attitude and a passion for improving citizens’ lives
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education: Minimum Secondary Education (Matricultaion)
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Past experience of similar work will be an added advantage
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is desirable
Language Requirement: Fluency in English (with excellent written proficiency is mandatory)