“UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.”
UNDP Indonesia's mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We aim to be a bridge between Indonesia and all donors as well as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.”
The Arafura-Timor Seas (ATS) region is part of the North Australian Shelf large marine ecosystem (LME), which is a tropical sea lying between the Pacific and Indian Oceans and extending from the Timor Sea to the Torres Strait and including the Arafura Sea and Gulf of Carpentaria. The ATS region are important to respective countries, both economically and ecologically, as the ATS region is very rich in living and non-living marine resources, filled with major fisheries and oil and gas reserves. It has strong connectivity in oceanographic and ecological processes, such as the movement of pelagic and migratory species. Significantly, the ATS region exhibits high productivity that sustains both small- and large-scale fisheries, including several high-value, shared transboundary fish stocks, with industrial-scale fisheries, such as finfish trawl fishery, shrimp trawl fishery, and bottom long-line fishery. These fisheries provide livelihoods for millions of people in the region, and make significant contributions to food security for both regional communities and also, large populations in export market countries to the north, including China.
However, many of the ATS fisheries are fully exploited or over exploited. The marine environment in the ATS region is in serious decline, primarily as a result of over-harvesting and other direct and indirect impacts of anthropogenic stresses and global climatic changes. In the ATS region, several signs of overfishing are identified, affected by many factors and added with high levels of Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing in the ATS. Alterations and damages to marine and coastal habitats, unsustainable harvesting, climate change, and pollution from both land-based and marine-based sources are also issues that need to be handled.
The littoral countries of Indonesia, Timor-Leste, and Australia have joint commitment to a regional response for improving management and governance of the Arafura and Timor Seas (ATS) ecosystems, through signing of a Ministerial Declaration 2014 that formalizes support of the long-term objective and vision of the ATS regional strategic action program (SAP) “to promote sustainable development of the Arafura-Timor Seas region to improve the quality of life of its inhabitants through restoration, conservation and sustainable management of marine-coastal ecosystems”. The overall goal and objective of this project is to sustain the flow of ecosystem goods and services from the Arafura and Timor Seas through a transboundary governance strategy that is rooted in national development priorities, and to enhance sustainable development of the Arafura-Timor Seas (ATS) region to protect biodiversity and improve the quality of life of its inhabitants through conservation and sustainable management of marine-coastal ecosystems.
Project Assistant ( Admin ) will work under the supervision of the National Coordinator, and will be responsible to support the project on a day-to-day basis to cover administration functions such as, HR, general office and general project administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures the implementation of monitoring and reporting policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assists in the coordination of project planning and preparation work for, typically, a medium- size and complex component of the project initiatives; monitors status of project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval;
- Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific project and related topics or issues;
- Implement project standard operating procedures in line with the government and UNDP’s regulations.
- Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval;
- Preparation of budget revisions, support to the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans as well as project board meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Support to the preparation of quarterly project reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
- Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management;
- Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues, periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
- Promoting gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management
Provides administrative support to the Project Management Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- To provide administrative support for preparation of high quality and results oriented progress reports
- Serves as focal point for administrative, HR, Security and office coordination of project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, security compliance, etc.;
- Provision of general office assistance such as response to complex information requests and inquiries reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; establishment of filling system and maintenance files/records; organization of meetings, workshops; routine administrative tasks, including maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.;
- Effective implementation of operations policies for gender sensitive approach at the project leve
Support strategic partnerships and the implementation of resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Updated database of the relevant public and development partners private sector, civil society and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the project;
- In coordination with RPM, support documentation of the project activities as a tool to communicate results, deepen stakeholder knowledge and buy-in to the project, and resource mobilization for the project;
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the areas of monitoring and reporting, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in project support management function;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Promoted knowledge management on gender equality issues
- Active participation in gender related training and capacity building.
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work, including working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively including communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict , including conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender blind behaviors within the project and with partners
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Strategic thinking and building partnership to promote gender equality
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Promoting organizational learning and knowledge sharing in gender analysis and gender mainstreaming
- Theoretical and/or practical knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment in development programming
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Public Administration,
- Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, or other relevant fields of study would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience, preferably in the field of
- development, administration, finance or purchasing for candidates with Bachelor Degree and 5 years for candidates with Diploma Degree. Some experiences in Coastal and Fisheries management, marine biodiversity and climate change mitigation and adaptation would be advantage
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and spoken English and Bahasa is an absolute necessity;
- Demonstrated strong familiarity with UNDP development projects.
- Knowledge of and experience in supporting administration of climate change projects will be highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge and solid experience in coordination of project management support are essential as well as ability to draft high quality correspondence on budget-related issues, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
- Good inter-personal and team building skills.
- Up-to-date computer skills required, knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems would be highly desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.