United Nations Development Programme, Bhubaneshwar, India
Closing Date for Applications:
- Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement (N-PSA) modality. More information about the N-PSA is available here [link to the N-PSA POPP https://bit.ly/3gaGFud).
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UNDP works in almost 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We support countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from democratic governance to poverty eradication, to sustainable energy and environmental management. UNDP’s programmes are aligned with national priorities and its projects are designed in consultation with national stakeholders and contribute directly to the Government of India – UNDP Country Programme and the United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF). UNDP is currently implementing 42 projects with footprints in all the states of India across the following programme areas -poverty reduction, democratic governance, environment and energy supporting the achievement of all the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP in Odisha is partnering under this Modality with Department of Panchayati Raj and Drinking Water since 2017 and with Agriculture and Farmers Empowerment Department recently i.e. 2021
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of Key Functions are as follows:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Efficient administrative support
- Support to supply and assets management
- Accounting and administrative support
- State Office cash management if required.
- Implementation of HR policies and procurement process.
- Administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
- This is a full time position to be based at UNDP Odisha State office- Bhubaneswar, Odisha and under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of State Office (Odisha), the Project Associate will support the state office in the overall management of State office and the projects implemented at the state level by providing administrative services, administers and executes processes and ransactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
- The Project Associate will also be required to support UNDP’s intervention in Rural Housing, RKVY and any other project that is being implemented directly by the state office. The Project associate is expected to support the state head in identifying opportunities, develop programmes and their implementation strategies to promote national and state priorities, including the SDGs.
- He/ She will also work in close collaboration with the State Outreach office and SDG officer, Operations, Programme and Project staff in the CO to exchange information and ensure accurate and consistent service delivery.
Required skills and competencies
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Working experience with the Government of Odisha/ other international or national organisations
- Sound knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations, policies, procedures and practices.
- Travel may be required upon project requirements. Reimbursement of Travel Expenses and DSA will be made as per UNDP India norm upon prior approval from the supervisor.
- Professional Certificates : Financial Management, SPSS, Tally etc. (Optional)
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Min. Academic Education
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
- 5-7 years of relevant experience of working with the government at national level or sub-national level in the area of inter-sectoral planning.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among other
- Experience in Project planning and implementation
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in Odia, English and Hindi is essential.