This initiative is designed to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/ recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swacch Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be institutionalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions. Project’s targets at the end of period are, to better manage an amount more than 85,000 MT/year of plastic waste and to improve socio-economic conditions of 30,000 plus Safaii Mitras. To achieve the project objective and outcomes, the project is structured in 4 components: Component 1: Aims to develop support and implement an economically sustainable model (ESM) for packaging plastic waste management. This component focuses on developing and implementing the model at 50 selected cities in different States. It also entails support and active involvement of key stakeholders relevant to plastic waste management in urban areas in India for a holistic approach in convergence with the existing mechanisms and resources. This will also include an analysis of present regulatory mechanisms and practices followed, subject to relevance to ‘plastic waste’ in specific and current resources and technologies available as well as for creating an enabling environment, and covering under their umbrella the various kinds of plastic waste, including plastic bottles; Component 2: focuses on design and implementation of Pilots in City Units (Swacchta Kendras) for improved plastic waste management, in the administrative wards of selected 50 cities. Socio-technical approach is to be applied to combine improved technological development in handling, with the social aspects of waste collection and segregation. This component represents the core development of the project, from its results; projections will be developed towards implementation in the entire country. Component 3 is directed mainly to design, sustain and provide elements to institutionalize Swacchta Kendra in governance bodies and to obtain improved socio-economic conditions for waste pickers. This is to be achieved by incorporation of the plastic waste management model, and its main stakeholders presence and importance, into urban local bodies at city, state and national levels; by obtaining Safaii Mitras’ activities recognition as a service to society, with the corresponding starting up of their mainstreaming; and by fostering and strengthening self-help groups for Safaii Mitra living improvements of their way of life; Component 4 is aimed to developed a knowledge management, monitoring and communication mechanisms, which will be based in a in-built adoptive feedback system from project results at various stages along the entire duration. Adequate governance mechanisms will be established in order to assure the right development of project and targets fulfilment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supervisor : Program Manager – Circular Economy, UNDP
- Ensure functionality, comfort, safety and efficiency of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology.
- Will be completely responsible for facility planning and development incl floor plan, machinery placements, power requirements,
- Ensure compliance of Environment, Health, security and Safety aspects for enhanced work environment
- Developing SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) for complete upkeep of the site to high standards of operations, maintenance and cleanliness.
- Conduct trainings on EHS, compliance, security, etc
- Benchmarking best practices and sharing across the board
- Keeps a tab, understanding and support in accessing and sharing the technology led information with a range of stakeholders on all the compliance parameters
- Facilitate as an important Team member at PMU, in setting up a dynamic monitoring and evaluation systems for monthly monitoring and reporting of project;
- Any other responsibility assigned by the Program manager and Head of division
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organisation
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop himself/herself professionally.
- Shares knowledge and experience with the team and other stakeholders.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of Facility management tools and processes as well as of current theories and practices in the area of evaluation and knowledge management.
- Has the required competence to collect reliable, valid and accurate information in an objective way.
- Required to operate various MIS tools and software applications
- Develop system of capturing the process documentation of the project processes followed by different project partners and facilitate drawing lessons from the process analysis for any mid – course correction to address the emergent issues
Results based management
- Leads and facilitates work planning, alerting those involved of potential obstacles and helping to identify suitable alternatives as needed
- Takes accountability for the delivery of agreed results
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Brings visibility, promotes ideas and develops partnerships to advance the organisation’s work
- Recognises key players in decision making, engaging them and building consensus for final decisions
- Demonstrates an understanding of client / partner / donor perspective and strives for high quality client-oriented services
- Establishes smooth relationship and enabling environment between clients and service providers
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: B. E. (Civil / Mechanical / Electrical) or Architecture with knowledge of admin and facilities management
- Desirable: Master’s degree or equivalent in management, engineering or operations
- A minimum of 5 years of facility management including layout planning, construction, administration, operation, health, safety and security compliances, etc.
- Must have knowledge of and familiarity with successful Health, safety and environment programs, policies, and procedures
- Good analytical, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills on the impacts from project.
- Good command of resources based management tools.
- Experience in MIS tools and applications
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Hindi is essential.