Myanmar has embarked on a major transition towards democracy, market style economy and peace. Myanmar has low middle-income status (LMIC) and is committed Under its Country Programme for the period 2018-2022, UNDP is striving to deliver on a large programme portfolio that is responsive to the main development challenges facing the country. The UNDP Country Office in Myanmar is a key interlocutor and advisor to the Union government on rule of law, civil service reform, parliamentary capacity and institution building. UNDP is expanding its programme at the State, Region and Township levels to ensure stronger institutions at all levels of government as well as broader civic engagement as part of the effort to build and sustain peace.
The Country Office has aligned the new office structure with the new CPD and designed new ways of working that will facilitate more collaboration across the office, create the foundations for more sub-national level work and higher delivery, facilitate the relocation of the Country Office from Yangon to Naypyidaw during the upcoming CPD period, and emphasize learning and support to national staff capacity development.
SERIP is a 5-year initiative that aims to strengthen the effectiveness of state executive and legislative institutions in understanding the needs and aspirations of the Myanmar people, in all their diversity and in formulating, implementing and evaluating policies as well as in appropriating public resources in a way that provides effective, timely and equitable responses to these aspirations.
The Strengthening Accountability and Rule of Law (SARL) Project supports the Government of Myanmar to address low public trust in state institutions at a critical time in Myanmar’s transition. Building on the clear initiative of all three branches of the Government of Myanmar to promote transparency and accountability, the project helps to strengthen institutional frameworks and capacities for good governance.
Under the Governance and Sustainable Peace Programme, the work of the SERIP and SARL projects is closely aligned. The projects cooperate in delivering support to parliaments at the Union (national) and Region /State (sub-national) level and on many other joint priorities.
Reflecting integration in the projects, project management arrangements are being aligned to pool resources, and to conduct common tasks using common systems to achieve optimal scale for project management services.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the project managers of SERIP and SARL projects, the Project Associate supports efficient management for both projects, liaising with both project teams. S/he will work under the guidance of the respective national Project Management Officers and in close collaboration with the respective Project Associates.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support management and implementation of project activities;
- Provide procurement, payments and administrative support for the projects;
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Support management and implementation of project activities;
- Provide support to planning and organizing project activities, including the preparation and conduct of meetings, training, workshops and events
- Provide inputs in the elaboration of the budgets for the project annual work plans and update the budget on system and expenditure reconciliation as required;
- Support preparation of regular analysis based on project financial reports in order to inform project management of any potential risks and support decision-making on financial issues;
- Communicate with stakeholders and implementing partners to inform and follow up activities
- Follows up on the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Provides procurement, payments and administrative support for the projects;
Procurement and logistics
- Regular update on the Consultants List and electronic filing at sharepoint
- Initiate process for procurement of Consultants, Goods and Services, i.e, collection of quotation, canvassing and requisition, and communicate with procurement unit for necessarily follow up
- Support to contract management of Consultants
- Prepare high-quality and timely financial documents for payment processes, troubleshoot any issues, and monitor the completion of the payment processes
- Support preparation of project finance documents;
- Act as an alternate focal for updating the budget on system and expenditure reconciliation as required
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
- Ensures budget availability for requisitions, POs and vouchers Draft various correspondence and supporting documents concerning finance, administrative, logistical matters as required;
- Supports in monitoring the project budget and preparing project finance documents (including budget revisions and GLJEs).
- Assist travel and logistic arrangment for consultants and resource persons where necessary; i.e, claiming security clearance, fulfilling T&E module in Atlas, flight booking and vehicle and accommodation arrangement, etc.
- Support maintenance of the inventory of project assets/equipment and files; and
- Provide any other administrative and logistical support as may be required.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Systematic gaining and sharing of knowledge and experience
- Organize briefings for new project staff on SoPs and guidelines
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in project management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in management and success in implementation of project strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of project information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the project management.
- Maintaining information and databases
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Education:Secondary Education. A University Degree in Finance, Business or Accounting desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years with secondary education and 3 years with Bachelor Degree of progressively responsible project administration support experience is required, with knowledge of project finances preferred.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management system is required. Experience using ATLAS desirable.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS preferred.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Myanmar.