Medair , Congo
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Oversees all rapid emergency projects within DRC in response to acute emergencies: disease outbreaks, displacement due to conflict, and above-emergency levels of malnutrition. The emergency response component is decentralised from several project bases and entails four sectors of work – WASH, infrastructure, health, and nutrition.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with the relevant Project Manager(s) and in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal. Support relevant Project Manager(s) in day-to-day decision making.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or GSO managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Develop, with the other senior field managers, an implementation strategy with the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers and any other bodies.
- Ensure all documents related to the project are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Attend OCHA meetings and specific emergencies meetings. Liaise regularly with UNOCHA, cluster leads and co-leads and other emergency response partners in discussing potential or current emergencies.
- Coordinate with other rapid response actors (NRC, Mercy Corps, etc.) Participate and/or lead RRM workgroups.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendation.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Responsible for ECHO budget.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisals, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc. If applicable, work with the relevant Project Manager(s).
- Ensure that staff receive training by providing coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor and review security assessments for new locations and for the area(s) of operation on a regular basis.
- Ensure security plans and protocols are updated and implemented. Train Project Manager(s) in security planning, implementation and monitoring. Make sure the ERT use the right security tools and monitor wellbeing.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security protocols for the area are updated and implemented due to changes in the security situation.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits. Ensure that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Post-qualification project management experience in a relevant profession.
- 2 years of management experience including report writing.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, team player, good numerical and report writing skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills. Coaching and training skills.
- Strong leadership skills. Consultative management style. Accountable decision maker.