Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Ha Noi and in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO) Bangkok, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the implementation, oversight, and co-ordination of IOM Viet Nam’s grant-funded programmes and projects. S/he will also be expect to support IOM in its engagement with the One UN in Viet Nam.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Develop and administer grant-funded projects. Develop, implement and monitor all administrative and operational activities of approved programmes in close coordination with the CoM, RO, other units in IOM Viet Nam and other IOM missions, government authorities, international and regional institutions, and partner organizations in both the public and private sectors.
- Pro-actively seek potential funding sources among government and non-government (including private) donors, in line with IOM Viet Nam's overall strategy. Manage overall fundraising data and information and maintain updated records and reports on programme activities.
- Locate and analyse specific migration related data, prepare reports and analyses relevant to proposed projects. Identify and develop specific programme components including selection of operational plans and approaches, identification of project partners, and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
- Identify new project opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with approved programmes and ongoing activities. Renew country and/or regional activities and recommend programme improvements.
- Contribute to the development of project/programme implementation strategies aimed at meeting the project/programme objective in close coordination with the Chief of Mission, the Regional Director (RD), relevant IOM missions, governmental authorities and international and regional institutions as well as partners' organizations in public/private sector.
- Review and adjust project proposals to ensure consistency with relevant priorities and programmes, and with available resources. Formulate and present such proposals on the basis of technical and substantive input and in accordance with required format for final review and approval.
- Monitor and expedite programme implementation through discussions and correspondence with project and technical staff, as well as with government authorities and project partners, and through field and project visits. Analyse project/programme reporting and advise accordingly about potentially required adjustments and emerging complementary opportunities; contribute to the development of new projects/programmes by maintaining thorough knowledge of donor priorities in the region.
- Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submissions of all project/programme reports according to IOM and donor formats as required. Prepare regular updates, programme summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
- Provide financial, administrative and technical backstopping to projects, Serve as a liaison with Headquarters units and/or Missions and project partners, including central and local authorities and all other stakeholders. Identify, train and supervise project staff in accordance with IOM's procedures and regulations.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
- Actively contribute to IOM’s engagement with the One UN in Viet Nam including joint programming and support to the UN Development System reform process.
- Participate in UN, donor, sectoral, working group, and other meetings aiming at development of new projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Business or Public Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in programme formulation, implementation and evaluation;
- Experience in development programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities including for people smuggling and migrant trafficking;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Familiarity with financial and business administration;
- Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration issues in Viet Nam, the sub-region and related issues;
- Knowledge of the region is an advantage;
- Experience with One UN programming is an advantage.
Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Vietnamese is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.