The project “Creating Employment and Entrepreneurship Opportunities for Women in India” (Disha) is a multi-year partnership project between United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and India Development Foundation (IDF), supported by IKEA Foundation. Project Disha aims to reach out and enable one million underprivileged women in India through training, employment and entrepreneurship skills development, as well as development of a new model of public private collaboration that can be adapted and replicated across India. The project activities are implemented across states of India viz. NCR (Delhi & Haryana), Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana. The project works in close partnership with GOI Ministries and departments, public and private organizations especially skilling institutes, employers and livelihood organizations to facilitate job placement and entrepreneurship activities among young women.
The project activities are implemented across four states of India viz. NCR Delhi & Haryana, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana. The project works in close partnership with GOI Ministries and departments, public and private organizations especially skilling institutes, employers and livelihood organizations to facilitate job placement and entrepreneurship activities among young women.
Under the supervision and overall guidance of the Chief, Skills and Business Development, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Disha project in designing of innovative solution to test the models and support with implementation in coordination with state teams and partners in the field to achieve project results. The Coordinator will be also working in close coordination with the Senior Programme Advisor and Project Analyst for efficient delivery, documentation and reporting of project targets and achievements.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following activities:
- Provide overall coordination to the Project Management Unit for the implementation of the project in the implementing states to achieve project goals;
- Provide technical support to the state teams placed in the NCR Delhi and Haryana, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana to design pilots, in accordance to the four models and the Theory of Change(TOC);
- Coordinate with other Disha project partners like India Development Foundation (IDF) to ensure that the proposed pilot(s) are robust and approved as per the Theory of Change (TOC) of the project;
- Conduct and support the state teams to achieve the targets with regular monitoring and follow ups; and support implementation of pilots and activities with the state teams as and when required;
- Conduct field visits across the project state extensively, provide support to the state teams in assessing on-ground implementation by the implementing partners and conduct review meetings to identify the gaps, provide inputs/feedback and suggest course correction, as necessary;
- Coordinate program related meetings like Team Meetings, Pilot Review and Approval Committee (PRAC) meeting, and others, and prepare associated documents;
- Provide programmatic support to the head office team in terms of preparing workplan, procurement plan and others for the project, annual reporting; pilot briefs and other related document to support reporting (technical and financial), specially for Donor and UNDP;
- Any other related tasks consistent with the level of the post and/or assigned by the Programme Manager/Chief Skills and BD.
- Sound knowledge of project management tools and utilises these regularly in work and assignments;
- Strong evidence of team management experience and proven ability to foster team building;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, networking and managerial capacity;
- Ability to multitask and monitor several projects on a regular basis;
- Ability to take initiative to develop new strategies;
- Willingness to travel.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Building and managing strategic partnerships
- Identifies common interests and goals and carries out joint initiatives with partners;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationship, partnerships and alliances with governments, private sector, foundations and other agencies;
- Makes effective use of resources and comparative advantage to strengthen partnerships.
- Brings visibility and sensitizes decision makers to relevant emerging issues;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work.
- Demonstrates an understanding of client / partner / donor perspective and strives for high quality client oriented services;
- Establishes smooth relationship and enabling environment between clients and service providers.
Leadership and Management
- Is results driven, solution oriented and can work under pressure;
- Ability to identify problems, propose solutions and take immediate corrective measures.
Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Results based management
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals
- Demonstrates ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
Required Skills and Experience
Educational Qualification: At least a Master’s Degree in social science, development studies, business management or relevant field.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in a mid-management level of responsibility in managing high value projects at the state or national level.
- Experience in development sector/gender/livelihood, skill development, enterprise development and/or related fields is desirable.
- Experience in engaging with senior management in a bi-lateral/multi-lateral organization(s), government, private sector;
- Proficient in using new technologies and web-based platforms;
- Proven networking skills and ability to interact with staff at all levels, including senior management;
- Experience working with the UN, government institutions or development sector will be an advantage;
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Hindi is essential. Knowledge of regional language(s) would be an asset.
Remuneration package is Rs. 277,196 per month (taxable). UNDP also offers additional benefits which include medical insurance coverage and limited pension reimbursement for contract holder and encourages work life balance.