- The mandate of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is to promote sustainable and inclusive development and regional connectivity in the Asian and Pacific region. ESCAP’s role as a regional development arm of the United Nations Secretariat is to support its membership with policy oriented research and analysis, normative support and technical assistance and capacity building, to respond to the development priorities and changing needs of the Asian and Pacific region.
- This position is located at the Seismic Mitigation Project (SMP) within the Division of Administration of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), Bangkok, Thailand. The Project Engineer works under the direct supervision of the Project Manager of the SMP and the overall supervision of the Director of the Division of Administration.
Within delegated authority, the Project Engineer will be responsible for the following activities and duties:
- Analyzes, reviews and advises on the planning, site investigation, design, logistics, construction, maintenance, site utility integration and commissioning of systems and facilities for the project;
- "Day-to-day" management of the appointed Consultant, in charge of the Contract Management, reviewing deliverables and forwarding them to the PM with eventual comments/remarks;
- Evaluates, reviews and revises project documents, and analyzes design specifications included in project proposals for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost and prepares reports;
- Recommends solutions to unusual engineering problems and provide expert technical advice on overall policies, procedures and guidelines pertinent to the project;
- Coordinates with the Procurement Unit with regard to technical assessment of received project bids, deliverables, and/or variations from vendors;
- Coordinates, as directed by the Project Manager the work of the consultants, contractors, and team members assigned, ensuring compliance with contractual and project obligations within the planned timeline and budget;
- Confirms Engineering and Architectural technical conclusions and applies common calculations;
- Advises the PM on action to be taken with regards to suggested changes proposed by the Consultant;
- Oversees financial management aspects of the project, including the development of draft allotment requests and performance reporting; certify requisitions and approve payment of consultants and contractors as directed by the Project Manager;
- Keeps abreast, through relevant engineering literature, of significant trends and the development of improved methods and equipment;
- Leads efforts of team studying critical problems relating to design or construction of systems and facilities. Investigates and makes recommendations for resolution of problems in specialized area and maintains quality;
- Assists and supports the PM in drafting reports for the Project Director as well as for the Stakeholders when required;
- Performs other related duties as required by the Project Manager and/or Director of Administration, and acts as Deputy Project Manager.
Professionalism: Demonstrated project management skills, knowledge of the latest technology and material used for buildings complemented by the knowledge of relevant UN rules and policies. Ability to apply engineering, architectural, project management skills and to participate in engineering projects, including preparation of cost estimates, research of data and preparing graphs. Ability to identify and analyze engineering data of significant depth and complexity. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in engineering, architecture or other related field is required. A recognized first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree is an asset.
- Professional certification or membership of chartered institutes such as the Project Management Institute and Professional Engineering or Architectural Institute is highly desirable.
- PRINCE II certification for project management or Microsoft Project experience on construction projects and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification from Project Management Institute (PMI) is desirable .
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in the management of architectural/engineering projects is required.
- Related experience at the international level and/or additional experience with implementing occupational safety and health standards in large scale construction/renovation projects, heritage preservation, is highly desirable.
- Experience within the United Nations Common System is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.