For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
The Project Field Assistant will work under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative, ad interim in the Philippines, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), day to day guidance of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation Specialist.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has selected the Philippines among the focus countries for the global project entitled “Supporting member countries implement climate change adaptation measures in fisheries and aquaculture” (GCP/GLO/959/NOR). The project aims to improve country capacity to develop and implement climate change adaptation plans and actions that promote socio-economic development with specific attention to poverty reduction and food security in the fishery and aquaculture sector.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Project Field Assistant will carry out the following tasks:
- Coordinate with the provincial and municipal governments of Zamboanga del Norte, and with the regional and provincial offices of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) on the scheduling, convening, and conduct of meetings, trainings, workshops, and other project activities;
- Coordinate with and assist in the convening of key local stakeholders such as fishing communities, local NGOs and peoples’ organizations, and others for participation in the various project activities;
- Provide on-site support to the project technical specialists led by the National Fisheries Management Coordinator during the conduct of the capacity-building activities, such as meetings, trainings, and workshops in Zamboanga del Norte, including written and photo documentation;
- Assist in the preparation of materials such as letters, concept notes, programs/agenda, and powerpoint presentations, and other communications as required;
- Coordinate and assist in the field visits of the project technical specialists in the different municipalities of Zamboanga del Norte;
- Receive feedback from project partners and beneficiaries, and forward these concerns to the project team;
- Inform project team on the existing and potential field implementation problems and issues that require immediate attention, and provide recommendations as needed;
- Assist in administrative duties as they are required on field, as guided by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation Specialist;
- Perform other related duties as required by the Project technical specialists and FAO Representative.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree agriculture, fisheries, environmental studies or management, community development, or related fields
- At least two (2) years work experience in a development or research project
- A National of the Philippines
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- General knowledge and skills in the use of standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Language requirement: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Familiarity of the project area (Zamboanga del Norte) would be an advantage