Project Finance Assistant
United Nations Development Programme, Baku, Azerbaijan
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- The project seeks to: (i) improve the protection of viable populations of indigenous wild relatives of crops and local landraces in their natural habitats; (ii) augment the conservation of indigenous wild relatives of crops and local landraces in plant gene banks to ensure an adequate source of genetic resources for plant breeding; and (iii) increase the production, and extent of use, of local landraces in agricultural small holdings and commercial farms.
- The project will be implemented in three regions - Sheki, Goranboy and Goychay. Within these three rayons, the project will further focus on selected crop wild relatives, cultivated native species and cultivated landraces of wheat, vegetable and forage crops.
The project has been structured into three complementary components.
- The first component will seek to expand the state of knowledge of agro-biodiversity, enhance the conservation of this agro-biodiversity and increase the intensity and extent of use native crops in the agricultural sector in the three project regions.
- The second component will seek to build the capacities of, and improve the collaboration and cooperation between, agricultural institutions and small farmers in order to improve agricultural productivity and reduce land degradation using native crops (i.e. the targeted crop species) in the three project regions.
- The third component will seek to strengthen incentives that encourage the planting of, and improve access to commercial markets for agricultural products derived from, the targeted native crop species across the three regions.
- Project Finance Assistant will work under guidance and direct supervision of UNDP Project Manager. He/She will work with Project Administrative Clerck and Project Experts. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preparation of requests for direct payment in accordance with project Annual Work Plan; create requisitions, vouchers requests and payment orders;
- Perform routine calculations to produce analyses and reports as requested by finance officer;
- Assist in updating financial spreadsheets with daily transactions; preparing financial reports and balance sheets;
- Maintaing financial documents filling system;
- Assist in procurement and recruitment process, such as preparation of TORs both for project staff and consultants, preparation of appropriate contract requests, evaluation, determination and other documents;
- Assist in updating, coordination and implementation of project work and procurement plans;
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of Project Manager.
- The Project Finance Assistant will perform his/her functions under the guidance and direct supervision of UNDP Project Manager.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Sensitivity and adaptability
- Displays cultural, gender, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Focus on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Working in teams
- Accepts team role, contributes to the work of the team actively and constructively
- Works collaboratively with team members, sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Proactively pursues solutions to team problems and asks for help when needed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues inside UN/UNDP as well as its partners and other stakeholders to pursue common goals
- Takes action to resolve sources of tension or obstacles that may prevent a team from achieving its goals
- Integrate the ideas of team members from other disciplines/perspectives into his/her thinking by leveraging the different experiences and expertise
- Takes initiative and seeks opportunities to initiate action
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Ability to strategically link communication with partnership goals and resource mobilization objectives
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Min. Academic Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in economy, finance, management, international releations, agriculture, environment or other social sciences
- At least 2 years of financial support experience
- Experience in national and or international projects would be an asset.
- Experience in the UN agencies or other international agencies would be an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Azerbaijani;
- Knowledge of Russian would be an asset.