Project Management Support Associate
United Nations Office for Project Services, Pemba, Mozambique
Closing Date for Applications:
The selected candidate will also be required to support the Senior Project Manager to establish full operations and UNOPS presence in the project location with the support of the Multi Country Office.
Summary of functions:
- Support implementation of operational strategies
- Portfolio planning, administration and management
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- 1. Support implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of programme/project management, financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up, human resources management, procurement processes and implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Programme/Project Management, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Portfolio planning, administration and management, Ensures efficient and effective, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support of all aspects of project implementation and service delivery in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations;
- Monitoring of progress for all projects/services agreements under his/her responsibility, anticipating operational and budgetary issues and taking pre-emptive action.
- Interaction with colleagues, clients and partners and undertaking of missions, as may be required, to guide operational issues and UNOPS service provision.
- Resolution of operational and process issues, referring complex issues to the supervisor with clear recommendations for courses of action.
- Review of service requests, assessment of their complexity, level of effort and UNOPS service fee levels for compliance with the UNOPS self-financing principle, and feedback prior to acceptance of projects for execution and/or service requests.
- Preparation of service request documents and analysis of submissions for project and/or UNOPS service acceptance.
- Fostering of client relationships.
- Support in the provision of operational, budgetary and financial guidance to project personnel. Assisting in preparation of project budgets and revisions and other related documents.
- Support in the preparation of Terms of Reference (ToR) for required inputs in the projects (institutional consultancy services, procurement of goods and services, organization of training, seminars, etc.), with expert and/or client support as required. Provide support in the preparation of contracts for services, memorandum of agreement, interagency agreement, grant agreements.
- Monitoring of expenditures and advice to clients/partners and funding agencies on budget status.
- Provide support in interview panels with view to staff selection and recruitment; Identification of consultants/experts, initiation of recruitment and preparation of TOR. Processing of all administrative requirements (e.g. funding source, clearances, and documentation) and request to Global Service Centre and/or integrated teams, to undertake recruitment action; follow-up to completion.
- Support in verification of accuracy of request/transactions and completeness of documentation
- Initiation of action and certification for approval at the higher level as may be required. Monitoring of expenditures, regularly informing supervisor and clients of budget status and any need to reallocate resources to meet objectives.
- Planning, organization and implementation of training, conference and all necessary logistics.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing materials as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities.
- Any other duties as assigned
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project and service activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Coaching and/or mentoring of colleagues on portfolio management and service administration and encouraging feedback to lead to process improvement and standardization.
- Publication and sharing of information and knowledge with colleagues, clients and partners.
- Participation in the training for the programme, operations and projects staff on programme/project management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Impact of Results
- Project Management Support Associate directly impacts on achievement of project results by adhering to project management methods and strategies, reducing risks, cutting costs and improving success rates. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Completion of secondary school combined with 6 years of professional experience is required, OR
- Diploma Certificate in Business Administration, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Procurement, Management, International Relations and or other relevant disciplines combined with four (4) years of relevant professional experience, OR.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Procurement, Management, International Relations and or other relevant discipline combined with two (2) years of relevant professional experience
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in administrative and programme management support services is required.
- Experience working in financial reporting, operational transactions, budget preparation will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of ERP (oneUNOPS) systems is an asset.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Project Management, Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Experience /knowledge of web-based applications and Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs and slides is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of Portuguese is required
- Full working knowledge of English is required