UNDP has recently signed a project of “Strengthening tsunami and earthquake preparedness in coastal areas of Pakistan project”, with the financial assistance from Government of Japan. UNDP will closely work with NDMA, Sindh and Balochistan PDMAs, PMD and other stakeholders for initiating policy discourse on existing capacity and institutional arrangement of different agencies involved in disaster risk preparedness and response in the coastal areas. The project will upgrade the existing system of tsunami early warning, national seismic monitoring by providing relevant early warning, communications, remote sensing and IT equipment to relevant institutions (PMD and its National Seismic Monitoring Tsunami Early Warning Center, NDMA/PDMAs). The project will undertake a detailed earthquake and tsunami risk assessment of three selected districts of the project.
Tsunamis affect communities in many ways and for the reduction of loss of lives and damage to assets/critical infrastructure, the project will install 06 tsunami early warning systems in project target districts, through revision of district specific SOPs, installation of EWS equipment, including through modern communication tools. UNDP will closely work with PDMAs of Sindh and Balochistan and will provide technical trainings to government officials on carrying our relief, search & rescue operations. UNDP will establish youth groups in selected villages/ settlement in all three project districts and evacuation drills will be organized in schools and in health facilities by simulating earthquake and tsunami scenarios.
Furthermore, project will do mangrove plantation and reinforcing and retrofitting of facilities for earthquake and tsunami mitigation & preparedness and community through low-cost retrofitting of the selected buildings against earthquake and tsunami risk. UNDP will also Identify and develop tsunami evacuation sites (designated areas with shelter facilities), prepare and mark evacuation routes with tsunami signboards following regional and global best practices.
The Project Manager is responsible for day-to-day management, decision-making and also deliverables for the project based at the Project Office in Karachi, Pakistan, covering the two targeted provinces, as well as districts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Effective project and financial management, implementation and coordination of the project
- Creation and management of partnerships with the private sector and resource mobilization
- Project financial management and management of internal controls
- Project monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Knowledge management and communication
Effective project and financial management, implementation and coordination of the project
- Manage overall project implementation through planning and execution of activities at national, provincial and local levels according to the Project’s Result Framework and Annual Work Plans;
- Assume overall responsibility for project administration, including finance, procurement / logistics and personnel management in accordance with Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP);
- Develop Project Annual Work Plans and ensure their timely approval by the Project Board;
- Provide direction and guidance to the project team based in Karachi, stakeholders and implementing partners in line with UNDP’s overall DRR support strategy in Pakistan.
- Mobilize goods and services, i.e. tools, equipment, and consultancies to implement activities, including drafting TORs along with work specifications and clear results;
- Manage request for the provision of financial resources by UNDP, using advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the FACE (Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures), where relevant;
- Manage and monitor the project risks as initially identified in the Project Document appraised by the LPAC, submit new risks to the UNDP for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks by maintaining the Project Risks Log.
- Manage performance of project staff, consultants and responsible parties to deliver results in accordance with agreed individual or institutional agreements, within specified constraints of time and quality.
- Manage project closure including the transfer of project deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Prepare final project documents for signature by UNDP and the Implementing
Ensures effective coordination and partnership with key project stakeholders focusing on the following results:
- Day to day partnership management and consultation with government counterparts, technical institutes and communities.
- Coordinate with strategic partners at national level and provincial level such as NDMA PDMAs of Sindh and Balochistan, PMD, IFRC, PRCS, NED, NIO and other and relevant institution by applying appropriate engagement strategies;
- Ensure operational coordination and collaboration at local level in the three target districts with administration, DDMAs, departments and select target communities by establishing an appropriate technical coordination mechanism.
- Facilitate technical input from national and international technical partners in their respective areas of expertise, such as NED, PMD, UNESCO and IFRC
- Ensure contribution of the project to South-South cooperation such as exchange of knowledge, experts, best practices and lessons learnt with countries with similar context.
Project financial management and management of internal controls:
- Primary responsibility for management of budget and expenses in accordance with UNDP financial rules and regulations;
- Regular review and tracking of partners financial progress and payment requests; and,
- Certification of periodic financial reports and expense statements.
Project monitoring, evaluating and reporting
- Prepare the Project Quarterly and Annual Progress Reports according to the Results Framework and submit the report to UNDP;
- Prepare the Annual Review Report, and submit the report to UNDP and to the Project Steering Committee (PSC) at national level and stakeholders in each target province
- Update the original Result Framework, as recommended by the PSC and/or project evaluation in agreement with the project donor.
- Ensure the implementation of the project monitoring plans and facilitate quality assurance exercises by UNDP , donor or other stakeholders;
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of reports;
- Update work plan, risk and issues, and progress update on ATLAS;
- Facilitate UNDP CO in preparing result oriented Annual report by providing relevant info/data collected throughout implementation of the project for compliance of RBM.
Ensures effective knowledge management and communication under the project by focusing on the following results:
- Ensure that knowledge, good practices and lessons be captured regularly, as well as actively sourced from other projects and partners and integrated back into the Project;
- Effectively manage the production of knowledge materials foreseen in the Project Document and share those nationally and internationally in close collaboration with the UNDP MSU and Communication team;
- Ensure that publications, lessons learned, and technical documents based on this Project experience, including exchange of experiences, be uploaded to relevant online platforms i.e. UNDP website etc;
- Ensure successful implementation of the Communication and Visibility plan established for the Project.
- Organize training sessions for the projects and partners on lessons learned and best practices.
Imapct of Results:
The incumbent’s results will contribute to:
Ensure that the Project produces the results specified in the Project Document and the Contribution Agreement concluded between the Embassy of Japan and UNDP, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost, enabling UNDP and IPs to effectively implement the project interventions at national, sub-national and local levels.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office-
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Education:Advanced University Degree in disaster management, social sciences or related fields.
- At least 5 years of working experience in disaster management with Bilateral and multi-lateral agencies
- Included in the above: specific substantive and technical experience working with coastal communities on coastal hazard including tsunami.
- Excellent written English skills
- Proven experience in the development of DRR/ evacuation plans and awareness material and conducting drills.
- Experice working with government / district officials conducting workshop / focus group discussions in Pakistan, especially DRM structure, DRM framework and policies
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems. Previous experience with United Nations or similar international organization is desirable.
Language Requirements:Fluency in English and Urdu.