UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a new idea
Uganda is one of the over 190 countries and territories around the world where we work to overcome the obstacles that poverty, violence, disease, and discrimination place in a child's path. Together with the Government of Uganda and partners we work towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals, the objectives of the Uganda National Development Plan, and the planned outcomes of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework.
How can you make a difference?
The Project Manager will function as a focal point for both UNICEF and WFP in the management and coordination of the project. In this regard the incumbent will gather inputs from all resources within the office and external and represent UNICEF and WFP in all major negotiations and dealings regarding all technical aspects of the project.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
The main duties required of the successful candidate shall be as described herewith;
- Provide engineering and project management services for the project;
- Ensure compliance with UNICEF and WFP's policies, criteria and procedures in the planning, design, procurement and execution of the project;
- Prepare a Preliminary Project Schedule to coordinate and integrate activities that will be undertaken by all parties, including the Design Consultancy firm, the Contractor and UNICEF/WFP. After discussions with all concerned parties this will be updated incorporating a Detailed Schedule for all project activities, including realistic sequences, duration, responsible entity etc;
- Incorporate country-specific technical requirements into planning, design and construction phases of the project, and ensure the implementation of green building technologies where appropriate and feasible;
- Oversee the development of additional plans, including functional and technical design requirements for the purpose of design reporting and site lay-outs;
- Conduct design review and recommend changes or alterations to designs as deemed necessary, specifically imploring value engineering to maintain functionality and quality, while reducing costs for specialized building components.
- Manage procurement processes for selection of suitable consultancies for support of the delivery of the projects for conducting studies, investigations, design, contract documents, site supervision, material testing etc;
- Prepare detailed tender packages for consultants, designers, specialists and the contractor as necessary;
- Oversee technical aspects of the procurement process through all stages including evaluation and award;
- Participate and provide advice in Evaluation Panels for procurement services;
- Prepare reports, including technical appraisals, contract documentation, reviews on the contractor's proposals and any other relevant reports;
- Provide technical review and comment on project studies conducted by consultancy firms including site verification of geotechnical, topographical, environmental, ecological and other studies as required;
- Ensure that the security provisions employed on various projects are sufficient and consistent with the requirements of UN security;
- Act as the Construction Project Manager in construction phase of the project by providing oversight of technical quality, schedules, and budget, as required;
- Monitor safety performance of construction contractor, address contractual issues, and maintain a comprehensive system of site records related to construction project;
- Raise issues impacting budget and make recommendations;
- Ensure that the construction methods and equipment used are in compliance with the international standards and requirements on quality, health and safety;
- Lead the day by day discussions with all project actors and be directly responsible for contract management and technical matters visavi the Engineering and Design Consultancy firm(s) as well as with the contractor(s), unless otherwise indicated by the Steering Committee.
- Supervise and manage staff and/or the consultants team both in terms of effective management of work time and distribution and prioritization of tasks, as well as overseeing the quality and conformance of the work produced;
- Contribute to business continuity, contingency planning and make the necessary recommendations;
- Periodically monitor risks in relation to project management and report on any actions taken;
- Review, evaluate and approve the planned construction methodologies by contractors;
- Establish and maintain project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting up to project completion;
- Establish a comprehensive system for maintaining records including correspondence, survey data, inspection records, test data, site diaries, records of meetings, financial records, progress records, etc.
- Prepare and issue weekly and/or monthly reports, project completion reports and full report on final completion;
- Liaise with government bodies, public groups, UN agencies and any others in order to coordinate with the multiple stakeholders;
- Liaise with local authorities to obtain necessary clearance for the implementation of the projects and to ensure co-ordination of activities throughout the project duration;
- Inform the steering committee in advance of any deviation from the original work-plan of the Design consultancy firm and the contractor. In particular variations which might impact on quality, cost and completion date. When variations to the project scope are requested by the client, the contractor or the consultancy firm, the Project Manager (PM) shall identify the time, cost, and quality risk implications of the requested change and provide advice on the most cost effective option. No financial Delegation of authority for variations will be given to the Project Manager. All variations to the contracts will be managed in accordance with agreed instructions from the steering committee.
- Manage and maintain cash flow programmes, contract documents and payment process for contractors' services;
- Ensure that the engineering and design consultancy firms and the contractor(s) are held accountable for the structure till the end of Defect Liability Period.
- Organize final inspection of the premises and instruct the contractor(s) of any repair works to be done. Draft Final Completion Certificate based on satisfactory achievement of works. Ensure adequate procedure for closure of contracts with consultants and contractors.
- Produce a project closure report and evaluation of the construction company and the engineering firm.
- Perform other related duties as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- University degree, preferably at the advanced level, in Civil, ‚ Structural Engineering or Architecture;
- Professional or Chartered accreditation by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority for Engineers is highly desirable
- At least 10 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in civil or structural engineering with solid experience in the overall management of engineering projects and activities as well as high independence and decision-making authority;
- Experience in technical supervision of Commercial/ Large office building/Large residential Building works is highly desirable
- Experience of working in difficult security environments;
- Experience in engineering/construction with focus on 'health and safety' is an asset;
- Good knowledge of engineering design, in particular to the civil and structural fields;
- Proficiency in developing master plans for renovation and construction projects and site lay-outs;
- Familiarity with public procurement procedures, international contract formats and construction management procedures;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Project, Excel, Power point, Outlook) and other standard office software packages and systems;
- Advanced knowledge of AutoCAD and other project management software;
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration is considered a plus.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.