United Nations Development Programme, Hyderabad, India
Closing Date for Applications:
This initiative is designed to formalize a decentralized, integrated processing of all plastic waste on daily basis, onward value addition at the Swachhta Kendras (SKs) – material recovery centers managed through the waste pickers associations, NGOs, companies and mainstreamed with the respective Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) linked to authorized recyclers. This will enable to minimize negative impacts and risks to environment and to human health in India, by enhancing sustainable Plastic Waste Management practices, through a socio-technical model (segregation/collection/recycling) while ensuring compliance with regulations, to improve use of resources and in line with Swachh Bharat Mission in India; in this project the waste pickers (Safaii Mitras) will be formalized with respective governance mechanisms and attain improved social conditions. Project’s targets at the end of period in two wards are, to better manage an amount more than 2500 MT of plastic waste per year and to improve socio-economic conditions of 800 Safaii Mitras in 4 years. To achieve the project objective and outcomes, the project is structured into 4 components:
- Component 1: Proposes to develop, support and implement an economically sustainable model (ESM) for packaging plastic waste management. It focuses on developing base line assessment on use and availability of all plastics with the different and diverse users, present scenario; implement an economically sustainable approach (ESP).
- Component 2: Create a focus on design and implementation of Materials Recovery Facility Centers as (Swacchta Kendras) for better quality plastic waste management through socio-technical approach.
- Component 3: Engaged mainly to design, sustain and provide basics to formalize Swacchta Kendra across governance bodies and to gain improved socio-economic conditions for waste pickers; with a main emphasis on technology for Traceability, Accountability & Digital Governance.
- Component 4: To establish a more hands on knowledge management, monitoring and communication mechanisms, which will be based in an in-built adoptive feedback system from project results at various stages along the entire duration. Adequate governance mechanisms will be established to assure the right development of project and targets fulfillment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support to Govt. of Bihar for execution of project related to Plastic waste management covering the following main areas:
- Plastic waste supply chain management – segregation, collection, transportation, aggregation and recycling
- Execution partnerships – Setting up partnerships and managing relationships with waste pickers, NGO and host of other partners to develop plastic recycling across cities
- Plan and implement the 4 key pillars of the project as stated in the background
- Governance – Setting up governance to monitor operations and capacity building to various formal and informal sector players in the ecosystem
- Lead the team at PMU-Govt. of Bihar and coordinate with all stakeholders.
- Assistance in preparation of project documents like TORs, project reports, etc. and presentation to higher authorities.
- Participation in technical committee meetings for evaluation of tender documents, project reports, etc.
- Support and Review of plastic recycling projects at various stages during execution, look into alternatives which are sustainable, cost effective and executable.
- Liaison and Network with various stake holders, both government and nongovernment, during the execution of the projects.
- Assist in Capacity building, Resource mobilization and Knowledge management by attending training programs related to project activities.
- Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the senior management.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Bachelor’s degree in commerce, economics, rural development, environmental sciences or related fields.
- Desirable: Master’s degree or equivalent in Energy and Environment, Social Sciences, Rural Development or related fields
- At least 6 years of professional experience, preferably 1 year in waste management, if possible, reference to plastic recycling etc.
- Should have at least 2-3 years of experience in implementing/Consulting and implementing similar projects. Experience on preparation of TORs / EoI documents on solid waste management will be preferable.
- High-level of IT/computing skills (minimum: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to integrate technology into various aspects of the project for planning, rollout and monitoring
Language Requirements: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, Hindi are essential.