Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Department (MHD), the various units of the Health Assessment Programme (HAP) Global Support Unit provide services to all missions and medical field operations worldwide. The Migration Health Informatics (MHI) unit is responsible for operational medical software applications, data repositories and statistical reporting.
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Informatics Manager, in close coordination with the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Software Development Manager, ICT corporate software project managers, Health Assessment Programmes (HAP) and ICT teams in IOM Headquarters and the Manila Administrative Center and designated subject matter experts, the successful candidate will lead the Software Solutions team of MHI and be
responsible for the alignment of the MHD systems and the business processes and workflows in place in country and regional MHD operations. These migration health business processes are based on SOP and technical instructions from member states and requirements of the Migration Health Assessment Centers (MHAC).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Project management tasks include guiding and overseeing the development and integration/implementation and subject matter experts. Perform preliminary analysis of business functional requirements and recommend new functionalities and improvements to meet user and business requirements. Participate in the design/redesign of solutions for business functional requirements in close consultation with relevant technical and development teams.
- Work with IOM’s mobile development team and take the lead in defining functional requirements for the mobile applications used by MHD such as online medical appointments (OMAS/myMedical) and the MHD related modules in MigApp.
- Be MHD business focal point and technical lead in existing and new, corporate software development initiatives and projects such as MIMOSA Next Generation (NG), MIMOSA for IOM Affiliated Panels (IAP), Japan Pre-Entry TB Screening System (JPETS), Lab Information Management System (LIMS), as well as MHD internal system such as the Vaccines and Pharmaceuticals Inventory System (MedStock), data exchange interfaces with member state platforms such the Australian eMedical and the US EDN and any other software development initiatives that may occur in future.
- Design improved workflows within and better integration of MH modules with other corporate systems and migrant management applications. Actively participate in ICT’s new corporate software design strategy and approach using low-code platforms and micro-service oriented architectures.
- Work with subject matter experts and various stakeholders and propose streamlined workflows during requirements analysis ensuring scalability and business continuity of MH data driven applications. As a team member, participate in the preparation and implementation of new system releases and in Change Management activities to be used to deploy enhancements and/or modifications to the system. Draft portions of, and update, change management documents. Compile and maintain project reports and the relevant technical documentation for all MH software applications. Identify recurrent end-user issues, detect if the latter are software related or user errors; contribute to training users and improving their knowledge.
- In coordination with the MHI manager and support of the MHI, plan and supervise the activities of the MHI Software Solutions team and assist the MHI manager in coordinating the MHI unit. Devise and establish team workplans, assign and schedule team member tasks, lead team meetings and report on activity progress. In the role of first level supervisor, perform staff evaluation and support staff performance improvement processes.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Project Management, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience and preferable exposure to medical software or health information system design; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Good technical background and several years of experience in software development and software business analysis; expertise on multiple Web Technologies and framework including Java, .NET, ASP .Net, MVC and low-code platforms;
- Strong project management and analytical skills with capacity to understand IT business requirements and to translate them into technical solutions;
- Skills in software project management using industry standards, systems analysis, technical design and application architecture, database design and requirements and preparation of technical user documentation;
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of computerized information and data management systems;
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to deliver timely and high-quality products that meet end-user requirements; Strong personal ownership and ability to set and meet high professional standards;
- Knowledge of Angular JS, AJAX, HTML5, C#, web services, SOA is an asset; experience as technical lead or business analyst for medium or large sized web-based applications is required;
- Knowledge of version control systems including Jira and Git is of advantage;
- Exposure to the design of public health data, medical records, patient management or health information systems is an asset;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing skills (a sample of technical writing should be submitted together with the application);
- Excellent organization and analytical skills, attention to details, and ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with and supervise colleagues from diverse cultures and professional backgrounds.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.