International Organization for Migration, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency and Post-Crisis (EPC) Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Project Manager (WASH and Shelter), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of a growing Shelter and WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) project portfolio in Ethiopia and support the effective implementation of IOM emergency WASH and Shelter operations within the country.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and execution of the overall Shelter and WASH strategies, for IOM in Ethiopia.
- Manage the coordination and implementation of the WASH and Shelter programme to guarantee that scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance with the different project’s specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
- Ensure sound financial management of projects to guarantee alignment with internal and donor requirements. Safeguarding that budget lines are respected and monitor burn rates for the effective use of the funds.
- Lead the development of technical specifications, Bills of Quantities (BoQs), drawings of the Shelter and WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary to guarantee quality of the output and alignment to international and national standards and donor requirements.
- Manage and monitor technically and administratively the Shelter and WASH teams in the country. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the members of the team and transfer key skills.
- Ensure that the WASH programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tuning of systems and processes.
- Proactively identify programme development opportunities in Ethiopia, resource mobilization avenues, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of IOM’s WASH portfolio.
- Liaise effectively with donors at local and regional levels to ensure good relationship aimed to strengthen the WASH and Shelter programme in Ethiopia.
- Coordinate closely with the Programme Support Unit regarding project developments, monitoring and reporting. Develop internal tools for activities monitoring
- Actively liaise with the WASH and Shelter Clusters, other WASH agencies, government authorities/entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM technical activities are coordinated according to agreed standards, to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in Ethiopia.
- In coordination with the Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit, oversee all WASH programme related procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the Shelter and WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment and other cross cutting issues related mainstreaming in coordination with the Protection Officer.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Civil, Building or Hydrology Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience managing/coordinating WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) and
- Experience with an international organization or NGO;
- Field experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Experience in environmental project implementation, including engineering and Monitoring &
- Evaluation (M&E) activities in the region;
- Experience in partnership engagement and management;
- Good knowledge of Ethiopia and the African region is an advantage.
- Familiarity with MS Office software (Word, Excel, Access), CAD and other statistical software.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.